• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Surveyor Recommendation

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jackmarble
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: East Boston, MA

Surveyor Recommendation

Post by jackmarble »

I am looking for recommendations in the New Bedford - Fall River - Westport (Massachusetts) area. Obviously, Albin experience would be a plus, but there weren't many of this particular boat that were built, so finding a really good motor yacht surveyor is the primary goal.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Re: Surveyor Recommendation

Post by JackK »

Jim Hilton
EBCS Marine Surveys

Jim is the brother of Ken Hilton @ Standish Boat Yard. He grew up around Albins. I've met him a few times and he seems very knowledgeable to me.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
jackmarble
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by jackmarble »

Dang. Good to know. I talked with Jim but went with Jeff Gonsalves purely for scheduling reasons. Both came highly recommended...

Still looking for an engine surveyor. I got a quote for $400/engine + $400 for the genset + $1.50/mile travel. This is 1.5 times the cost of the pre-purchase marine survey (sea trials included). Is that a typical fee for an engine survey, or is this an "I'm busy make it worth my while" fee?
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

My engine survey was higher than prepurchase survey. Motors were single Cummins and genie. I felt info obtained was well worth it...and it is harder work it look like.
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
jackmarble
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by jackmarble »

Ended up buying the boat, last Friday... Would say that both surveyors were well worth their fees. The engine surveyor, Dennis Klodner, has been been working on/with Volvo since they first started importing their marine diesels to the the states... Attn: all MA, RI owners - DePaul Diesel is the shop, now owned and operated by Jaime, who is Dennis's nephew.

Jeff Gonsalves provided a meticulous pre-purchase survey. Also provides captain services, but book early as he is very busy and very good.
jackmarble
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by jackmarble »

jackmarble wrote:Ended up buying the boat, last Friday... Would say that both surveyors were well worth their fees. The engine surveyor, Dennis Klodner, has been been working on/with Volvo since they first started importing their marine diesels to the the states... Attn: all MA, RI owners - DePaul Diesel is the shop, now owned and operated by Jaime, who is Dennis's nephew.

Jeff Gonsalves provided a meticulous pre-purchase survey. Also provides captain services, but book early as he is very busy and very good.
Currently stuck with a boat that doesn't run. The engine surveyor recommended $3000 of maintenance in his report... missed a leaking water pump, one of the aftercoolers is cracked, both heat exchangers are cracked and one of the housings is cracked. Current estimate is $23,000.00 to fix everything!

If I add the cost of the engine survey, I will have paid just over and additional 20% of the sale price.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yikes that's a bit of stuff to miss! What kind of Albin?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jackmarble
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by jackmarble »

It is a 1987 48' North Sea Cutter. I think that if you Google it you can still see the listing on Yachtworld.

Return to “General Discussion”