• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Livewell/fishbox to fridge/freezer

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Livewell/fishbox to fridge/freezer

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So I've been looking at ways to make my boat more liveaboard friendly, what is sorely lacking is cold storage. Not looking for weeks at a time but being able to spend a week onboard without having to lug around a cooler would be nice. Soooo...I was thinking of converting either the live well or the center box in the transom to a freezer/fridge. I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and can lend their advice. This is a bit hypothetical as im not sure I want to take on that project, but can't hurt to ask.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Livewell/fishbox to fridge/freezer

Post by Russell »

The two fishboxes on either side of the cockpit get very warm from the engine heat. I only use them for storage. The large transom box keeps ice much longer and is where I put my fish. That is the one I would recommend if you can access it.
One of the people on my dock said he just puts a small home freezer in the rear of the cockpit and runs it off an inverter. Loaded with ice and frozen food it goes a long time before using a lot of electricity. He does this when going to the Bahamas and as he uses the food and ice he has room for fish to bring home.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I was going to use the center compartment in the transom or the bait well to the starboard side. My deck boxes get very warm as well!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote:So I've been looking at ways to make my boat more liveaboard friendly,...
Add 3+ feet. It's inevitable...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I have a 1999 28 TE configured the same as yours and those two boxes on either side of the engine box are for storage and do get warm. We set ours up for cruising with a full enclosure for 1-2 week trips, max. We also looked and the live well and fish box as potential sources for additional storage but like noted above saw no way of actually getting at them to add the required insulation on the outside without cutting sections of the transom away. What we did do was replace the old Norcold fridge (died after 14 years) with an Isotherm C49 DC Fridge. Turns out that it holds a lot more beer than the old one....or when we cruise the beer goes in the cooler that sits just in front of the transom (cushion adds extra seat) and we can put right much food in the fridge. Of course we cruise from marina to marina (wife needs shore power & A/C-Heat) and have a tendency to try new eating establishments, thus precluding extensive refridgeration needs. Your cruising partner may buy into that concept as well, and you'll find it a lot easier. Besides, you may want to go fishing and the live well is great. I did a posting on the installation of the Isotherm should you choose to go that route. Good Luck!
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

The original owner of my 28TE had a small refrigerator he put where the bolster step flips down. I believe he would not flip that down and stuck a small cube style refrigerator there.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im not really a live bait fisherman although I do a ton of fishing. I see a large freezer space in the live well as a good space to store bait as well (a few flats of butters take up some space!). It's all very hypothetical at the moment. I will look for you thread on the fridge swap as I feel like mine is dying anyway. Im actually pretty ok with cutting the inner transom skin to get to the box for insulation. We are fans of trying new eateries and do plan on mostly marina hopping but it would be nice to have the option, and sounds like it would be fairly unique on a 28!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Reading this thread a bit late and knowing you're in the midst of far larger projects...

You could certainly look to:

A - Insulate the h*ll out of the center box with foam insulation. Probably not all that hard to do if you seal the bottom (of the transom void) and then drill a few strategic holes inside the box through which you inject the foam (Low expansion type)
B - Insulate / replace the top cover
C - Install a cold-plate(s) as often found on cruising sailboats.

I think this could work well.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

I keep a large Yeti cooler on my 28 with a nice seat cushion that holds two people nicely. I fish and cruise so my bait and fish box is critical. Yeti holds ice and tons of food/drinks for days and gets us by. Now a refrigerated Yeti...that would be sweet,
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

DougSea wrote:Reading this thread a bit late and knowing you're in the midst of far larger projects...

You could certainly look to:

A - Insulate the h*ll out of the center box with foam insulation. Probably not all that hard to do if you seal the bottom (of the transom void) and then drill a few strategic holes inside the box through which you inject the foam (Low expansion type)
B - Insulate / replace the top cover
C - Install a cold-plate(s) as often found on cruising sailboats.

I think this could work well.
That was kinda my thought. I don't really use that center box in the transom and I should be able to get decent insulation in there with expanding foam...
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

When I installed my grab handle the box was already insulated. Get a mirror and look up by the rudder.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I did look up there (lots of room when the rudder, fuel tank and raw water systems are removed). Lol. No insulation
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Well there you have it! Mine is a 99... HaHa
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

catalina_mike wrote:When I installed my grab handle the box was already insulated. Get a mirror and look up by the rudder.
Same here but I question the quality of the insulation install (likely thin and/or missing in spots) and it's overall effectiveness..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “General Discussion”