• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

vessel documentation?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

vessel documentation?

Post by Pedro »

So my little Albin 28 is my first large boat, I had no clue regarding "Documentation" this never came up during my Survey,Purchase or State Regustration, I even searched my boats name and couldn't find it listed on the Coast Guards site.Consequently I'm rummaging thru my forward storage and there is a number glassed into the hull,! so I do have a documentation hull number,I'm guessing previous owners never renewed?Can anyone explain why I would want to document my boat?im not going to cruise internationaly anytime soon,Pete
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Re: vessel documentation?

Post by BobHaze »

If you're not going international there's really no reason why you should document your boat, and even if you go to Canada state numbers are no problem. My 28TE is documented, but primarily because it already was when I bought it. I think with a recreational vessel that's going to stay close to home, it's strictly a matter of choice.
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

We document because California charges a bunch for registration. Just bugs me.. The documentation number stays with the vessel for life. So if you document it they will more than likely use the same number as was the case with my 28. Also in California if you are CF numbered they try and get more money for the Zebra Mussel program. Boats used in salt water only are exempt from the program but you have to fill out a affidavit and most are confused by it.

My lake boat is CF'ed and my ocean boats have been all documented. Some states require a state decal as well and if that were the case I would stick with state registration. One stop shopping clean and easy.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

I was told that having documentation makes it easier to prove that the boat belongs to you when you go to sell her. Sounded reasonable to me so I went for it.
Ray
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Pretty sure CT, would require state reg also, they never miss a trick,,,,
recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by recppd »

I just bought a Documented Albin 28 and am in the process of Re-Documenting it under my name. $490 for a Doc Service Company to do. Vessel Documentation number doesn't change. And in most instances, there's no sales tax being collected...
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

recppd wrote:I just bought a Documented Albin 28 and am in the process of Re-Documenting it under my name. $490 for a Doc Service Company to do. Vessel Documentation number doesn't change. And in most instances, there's no sales tax being collected...
A service is not required, you can do the documentation yourself, it's actually surprisingly straight-forward for something "government"
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Pedro wrote:Pretty sure CT, would require state reg also, they never miss a trick,,,,
Yes Ct state registration is required whether documented or not.

And they do walk the marinas to check. A few owners in ours got caught once. They paid big time.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jleonard wrote:
Pedro wrote:Pretty sure CT, would require state reg also, they never miss a trick,,,,
Yes Ct state registration is required whether documented or not.

And they do walk the marinas to check. A few owners in ours got caught once. They paid big time.
The funny thing is the owners who seem to think "I've got a big boat so I'm documented." But they often aren't.

In CT you must have EITHER a "Certificate of documentation" and the appropriate colored sticker OR a "Certificate of registration" and the different colored sticker AND the numbers on your hull sides. I see registration stickers without numbers all the time. Pretty sure you'd be looking at a ticket as you are not displaying the proper numbers per the regs.

The main reason many boats are documented? - it allows for a "Ships Mortgage". So many lenders will require it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

Ditto on the lender requiring it. I was told that they get first shot at repossessing the boat if the owner declares bankruptcy. Also, a few years back, NC changed and required documented vessels to be also registered in the state (more money). But...they specifically do not want you to display the numbers! Only the stickers, which used to be just on one side, but also changed to both sides, forward and.. they raised the registration fees for all boats.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

[quote="DougSea
In CT you must have EITHER a "Certificate of documentation" and the appropriate colored sticker OR a "Certificate of registration" and the different colored sticker AND the numbers on your hull sides. I see registration stickers without numbers all the time. Pretty sure you'd be looking at a ticket as you are not displaying the proper numbers per the regs.

The main reason many boats are documented? - it allows for a "Ships Mortgage". So many lenders will require it.[/quote]

No requirement to display numbers on the hull I Ct if documented as far as I know. Just the decal and the color is different than the "normal" registration.
Also because of Ct's "great new computer system", it could not handle documentation numbers in the registration process, so every documented boat was assigned a false registration number for admin purposes.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

So, I did it right? By paying CT sales and tax and getting CT reg numbers?I was pretty sure there is no legal way to avoid CT sales tax, since we are the epicenter of taxation,,
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pedro wrote:So, I did it right? By paying CT sales and tax and getting CT reg numbers?I was pretty sure there is no legal way to avoid CT sales tax, since we are the epicenter of taxation,,
So are you re-documenting her or not ? If you do it yourself (just a few forms) its ~$100 and then the annual renewal fee is $26..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jleonard wrote:
DougSea wrote: In CT you must have EITHER a "Certificate of documentation" and the appropriate colored sticker OR a "Certificate of registration" and the different colored sticker AND the numbers on your hull sides. I see registration stickers without numbers all the time. Pretty sure you'd be looking at a ticket as you are not displaying the proper numbers per the regs.

The main reason many boats are documented? - it allows for a "Ships Mortgage". So many lenders will require it.
No requirement to display numbers on the hull I Ct if documented as far as I know. Just the decal and the color is different than the "normal" registration.
Also because of Ct's "great new computer system", it could not handle documentation numbers in the registration process, so every documented boat was assigned a false registration number for admin purposes.
I didn't state that very well. What I see are boats with a "Registration" sticker and no state numbers. That's not proper. If you're registered you need to display the registration numbers. Having a documented boat you would have a "Certificate of decal" sticker and you do not display any numbers. Just the stickers forward and Name and Home/Hailing Port on the stern.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

DougSea wrote: I didn't state that very well. What I see are boats with a "Registration" sticker and no state numbers. That's not proper. If you're registered you need to display the registration numbers. Having a documented boat you would have a "Certificate of decal" sticker and you do not display any numbers. Just the stickers forward and Name and Home/Hailing Port on the stern.
Yes agreed.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “General Discussion”