• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

vessel documentation?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: vessel documentation?

Post by jleonard »

Pedro wrote:So, I did it right? By paying CT sales and tax and getting CT reg numbers?I was pretty sure there is no legal way to avoid CT sales tax, since we are the epicenter of taxation,,
Correct you cannot legally avoid paying Ct sales tax and reg fee. Malloy needs some pocket change this week.
(OOps sorry to make a political comment)
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

jleonard wrote:...(OOps sorry to make a political comment)
No worries, I think the forum rules is that you are allowed one for every thousand posts, so you've almost earned your second!

Our "Gov's" resemble each other and have that same "political smile"

Back to the subject topic: In NY a documented vessel pays the state tax, displays the reg sticker but no state reg numbers are displayed. The state does not issue a NYS title or transerable registration, only a non-transerable registration is issued. The CG-1270 Cert of Doc is your transferable proof of ownership.

It was debated as to the benefits of documented vs non documented boats. Having a documented boat can be a handy tool upon the sale of the vessel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chuckatuck Ray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Naval Sailing Center, Norfolk, Va.

Post by Chuckatuck Ray »

I did not use a service company to file my papers for documenting my boat. It was very easy to do when I did it 17 years ago. If the procedure is the same, I'd consider doing it myself and saving some bucks.
Ray
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Rob's comments are spot-on (as usual). The state registration is usually required to collect the state sales tax. Personally, I like the fact that no state registration numbers are required to be displayed, just the sticker. A much cleaner look.
Don.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

And for those in Massachusetts ... No state registration required, but sales tax must be paid if documented as recreational.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

Here's another version:
In Ohio state registration and display of that sticker are required. If documented, display of the state registration numbers is not required but the name and port must be displayed as required by USCG regs.
In all cases state sales tax is required. Years ago owners documented to dodge paying the sales tax but then the state required display of the registration sticker, which they won't issue if you don't pay the sales tax.
That didn't stop some from placing registration stickers from small boats (really inexpensive registration fees) on their larger, documented boats to avoid sales tax.
Then some savvy state employees started foring marinas to provide a list of all dockers and associated registration numbers. That brought the tax dodgers into line.

As to advantages, one simple plus is not having those ugly state registration numbers on both sides of the boat. For just over $100, when you do the documentation forms yourself, it's a cheap way to improve the appearance of your boat.
Sorry for the long winded reply.
TQ
recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by recppd »

Pitou wrote:And for those in Massachusetts ... No state registration required, but sales tax must be paid if documented as recreational.
Haven't come looking for me yet... :D Technically mines a re-doc, not a new number.
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I know I`m on the other side of the pond to you guys, but for interest we do things a little bit different. Firstly here in England if you do not go to another country, you do not HAVE to do anything, although it is not advised.
There is however a SSR Small Ships Registration system. For small boats, less than 24 metres, privately owned, a fee of £25.00 English pounds is paid every 5 years. This SSR is recognised in all countries. The number is displayed on the side of the boat.
Next is a MMSI number. Maritime Mobile Service Identity, number. This is the number used to identify any vessel that uses his VHF radio.
Radio Licence.. This licence is free to pleasure craft if filled in and applied for online.

Our Coastguard, like your USCG have a form that they ask us to fill in giving the craft detail with information about things such as speed and range. This form CG66 is sent to the coastguard free, and they like a photo. Our coastguard are for search and rescue only, unlike your USCG that do registration and protection as well as rescue. Here if you want to go to sea without any form of life jacket or life raft or radio, you can, but........
Insurance at sea is NOT compulsory, but you are strongly advised too.
If a boat comes into the river and inshore canal system, then insurance is compulsory, and you need a `licence` from either The Environment Agency or the Canal and River Authority, and you need a Boat Safety Certificate. This boat safety certificate is not needed if the vessel stops only at sea.
I think we are also different to you in that here you do not NEED to have any `helmsman qualification` to master a private vessel. Saying that The Royal Yachting Association, do many various courses and strongly recommend that people do a suitable course and get a certificate from them. Some people like me also have Board of Trade and Department of Trade and Industry, qualifications.
On my Albin 25 I have AIS Automatic Identification System. fitted. This system is not compulsory but my details are in the system and are recognised worldwide.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Also in California if you are CF numbered they try and get more money for the Zebra Mussel program. Boats used in salt water only are exempt from the program but you have to fill out a affidavit and most are confused by it.
Catalina Mike, what's the latest deal with out of state boats registered in Arizona with AZ numbers like mine coming over to SoCal as far as the Zebra (Quagga) mussel thing? We boat in fresh water and salt water both, and our home lake is already infested with Quaggas, as is everything connected to the Colorado River system and CAP canal, as Lake Pleasant gets pumped storage coming from Lake Havasu since it serves as a buffer storage reservoir for the Central Arizona Canal system. Going up to Washington this summer we had to get inspected while passing through Oregon, even though we had no intention of putting the boat in the water in Oregon in either fresh or salt water and were using it in salt water only in Washington & BC.

We're thinking we might (TBD) put the boat in at Dana Point next summer for a run out to Catalina. What kind of hassle can we expect from California authorities? Would we need to get a special sticker? Our boat would be dry stored in AZ in 100+ degree desert heat for several weeks before taking it out to the coast, and is never in Lake Pleasant more than one or two nights at at time & always dry stored on the trailer in between and we're pretty much done with lake boating after May 1st.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Not sure about out of state launching.. In the ocean no problem. The only lake I have experience with for fresh water is Lake Arrowhead. It's private but they require a dry bilge and the state sticker along with the lake sticker. Money money money! Salt water no issue. The marina will require registration and insurance along with a Coast Guard Auxiliary inspection to moor there.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The only times I've gone boating in California was in salt water, which included sailing Monterey Bay in my Montgomery 15 in the Small Craft Advisor Magazine sponsored Potter Yachter Cruiser Challenge fun races in 2002 & 2003 (took 3rd place in the small boat fleet both times) and again with my Catalina 22 in 2005, and my Catalina 25 sailboat in 2008 & 2012 in San Diego, the last time being a harbor hop up from Chula Vista to San Pedro & Catalina Island in 2012 before selling the C25 in 2013 & before they instituted the AIS sticker for CF registered boats. 2012 was my second trip over to Catalina, in 2003 I sailed the Montgomery 15 to Catalina from Marina Del Rey. We have not yet taken our A25 to California, nor even driven through California on the way to and from Bellingham, having gone through Utah, Idaho, and Oregon in order to avoid crossing hot deserts as we would have going via I-10 or I-40 and up I-5. Who knows, maybe next year we'll launch from Dana Point for another Catalina cruise.

Leaving Avalon aboard Catalina 25 "Orinoco Flow" bound for Dana Point, July 2012
DSCN0633 Departing Avalon, 7-14 (1024x768).jpg
Sailing my M15 "Scamp" off Monterey in 2003, as featured in Jerry Montgomery's rigging service ads in Small Craft Advisor
IMG_0805.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I am not re-documenting her since it will do nothing but cost me money, no mortgage and I live in CT so you pay your sales tax at registration which is required by the State,no way to avoid it without actually breaking laws, I'm no law breaker,
recppd
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by recppd »

Not for nothing, but "private sales" involving a broker are just that, private sales. The broker is only the middle man, and in my experience, all of the paperwork has been made out with the owner's info, and that's how it appears on paper. So why should there be sales tax???
Rob C.
2004 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
"SEA LEVEL"
Boston, MA
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Check your state laws regarding sales tax. It is legaly in the state of California for the broker to collect it at time of purchase. It's ultimatly the responsibility of the owner to declare the purchase and submit it to the state if no broker is invoulved. I know because a Regal I bought from a dealer and paid sales tax to the dealer did not pay the state and they came after me. I had cover because it was purchased from a broaker. Not only that but our county luxery tax is based on the price of the boat and the tax on top of it! Gotta love tax collectors and my state.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

recppd wrote:Not for nothing, but "private sales" involving a broker are just that, private sales. The broker is only the middle man, and in my experience, all of the paperwork has been made out with the owner's info, and that's how it appears on paper. So why should there be sales tax???
Depends on your state.

The taxman (Taxperson? Wouldn't want to offend anyone!! :wink: ) always wants their share. All of those purchases you make over the internet and don't pay sales tax? It's still due. You're supposed to self report it. Not many do, but that's the law in most states.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “General Discussion”