• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Block Island

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Block Island

Post by Pedro »

Planning on heading to Block this weekend, Anybody ever have trouble getting a mooring this time of year? I usually rent a place in July and then again in mid Sept, but have not taken my boat over yet,Pete
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Block Island

Post by jleonard »

Bad weather last weekend and a great forecast for this weekend the crowd might surprise you.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

But the kiddies are all back to school which restricts many from doing this weekend what they hoped to do last weekend...trust me I know..

Just make sure your ground tackle (and skills) are up to snuff in case you need to drop hook for the day and then you have the option of getting moved over to a private mooring by the HB for the night..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Thanks,I haven't anchored overnight with my current ground tackle, 14lb danforth 20' chain, but she holds me during beach hops just fine so far, (no windlass).
Now we are thinking maybe one night in Montauk then Block. Any favorite places to dock or get a mooring?restaurant suggestions?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

At Block if you cannot find a town mooring you can call the harbormaster and he will put you on a private mooring AFTER 3 pm (they might do it earlier this time of year). You'll have to be off the mooring by 10 am.
They will charge the same fee as they do for the town moorings.
I like The Oar and Dead Eye Dicks.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Thanks,,,I'm optimistic about getting a town mooring,So it's a grab one if you see one empty deal, then they track you down for payment?otherwise I go visit the shack down by the oar?, I will call harbor master if I strike out,,I also enjoy the Oar, great tuna poke?, I forget how they spell it,if your into that, the Narragansett Inn is usually good in the early season when we rent a house for a week,
Question,
1. Showers, I'm assuming the Oar by the bathrooms, are they coin operated?
2.Bbq grills I don't remember seeing any at the boat basin? I would just use the magma grill on the boat if not,
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Pedro wrote:1. Showers, I'm assuming the Oar by the bathrooms, are they coin operated?
2.Bbq grills I don't remember seeing any at the boat basin? I would just use the magma grill on the boat if not,
We have our own shower and grill on the boat so can't answer either of those Qs.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

image.jpeg
Well we went to Block on Sat am, nice ride over,plenty of moorings,however just before entering the channel we struck something in the water, 93' depth on sounder,never saw it, nothing surfaced,no damage,It felt like I hit a semi submerged large fish.I dove the hull later and saw no marks at all,,
I asked the harbor master if there were a lot of turtles whales or sunfish and he said oh yeah this has been the most sightings of them ever,
Then as we came home this morning we nearly hit a seal just off Mystic, but that one stayed out of harms way.All n all a glorious 4 days on Block,water is still warm,body surfed Benson Beach, empty town ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “General Discussion”