• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull Painting Mahalo

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hull Painting Mahalo

Post by zinbaad »

I am considering having Mahalo, 31 te hull Painted with IMRON,, Wondering any ones experience with the price and a good yard to have it done somewhere reasonably close to home port Bayside NY. Buffing and compounding each year is just overwhelming and the most dreaded part of Blue hull ownership (plus it just might help in resale value)
Please feel free to chime in
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Re: Hull Painting Mahalo

Post by Jack »

Mine is a 28 TE and the hull was repainted with Algrip, so my input can only be indirectly helpful. I tried different compounds for a couple of years without success. Brewer Shipyard in Essex, CT repainted it for $7,000 three years ago and did a great job. That included painting my registration letters/numbers on the sides. I think I posted a picture of myself in a mirror image taking the shot. Beautiful flag blue, which is darker than navy blue, which for some odd reason is not as dark in boat paint as it should be. It's holding up very well except where one of my ball shaped fenders rubs constantly against the aft hull by the exhaust.
I would trust Brewer in Essex but ask Brewers closer to you for happy customers you can speak with to be reassured.
Good luck.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Jack, have you got fender socks on your fenders? Makes a world of difference to getting scratches from the fenders.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Again it's for awlgrip, but my yard quoted me 7500 for my 28 this past spring. They did a ton of boats post sandy as insurance companies figured out it was cheaper to awlgrip hulls to cover over repairs than having the yards try and match gelcoat
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Thanks, Tree. I got close to ordering a couple but hung up on finding lower priced ones. I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for them before next season.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Just make sure you keep them CLEAN or they do more harm than good
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Awlgrip here on Pitou. Applied from the previous owner and I like it. It takes a lot to scratch it and it's easily maintained. I'm so glad to have the compounding and waxing far back in my rear view mirror!

From everything I here from those who have also had Imron is that Imron is softer than Awlgrip and if it scuffs or scratches it can be repaired.

Be sure to get yourself "fleece" fender covers. Maine Point out of Southwest Harbor, Maine (the land of Hinckley Yachts) has the best. Much thicker fleece and better constructed than the Taylor Made covers.

http://www.mainepointfendercovers.com/fendercovers.htm
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

someone did a previous boat with Imron...it was a bad choice for decks...slick as snot..so don't IMHO do the decks...and second 3 seasons and it started peeling...(could have been bad prep...or nature of the beast??)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Jack wrote:Thanks, Tree. I got close to ordering a couple but hung up on finding lower priced ones. I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for them before next season.

I make my own - ok Its UK based but I am sure you have something similar there

http://www.fender-socks.co.uk/category/ ... sock-kits/

So far they have lasted three years - will almost certainly need to make them again next year but the kit is enough to do 6 8" diameter fenders.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “General Discussion”