• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat Insurance

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Re: Boat Insurance

Post by Bearkeley »

Sprig1 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 am Hi Mary Jo I be interested in what you find about the insurance. Basically we have the same boat. Boatus was around $275.00 but would only insure for $9500.00. I think it was book vale. they would up it to $15,000 with a survey. I'm up to the point of getting my boat in the water. Thanks for the help. Hope to see you on the water sometime. Chris
I'll share what I found out, but for now, here is what I read on MTOA (great group if you haven't joined!). If you have a 20+ year old boat, be sure to look at your partial loss clause. I didn't even notice it the first time I looked at the new language in the policy until I read about it on MTOA.

"Geico has been making substantial changes to their yacht policy this year. Complete information will be in the September issue of Turtle Times, but if your policy with Gieco is new or renewed since May, you need to take action and I didn't want you to wait for the magazine.

On the plus side, Geico has introduced a disappearing deductible. Your basic deductible will be reduced 25% per year, if you have no claims, so it disappears entirely in year 5. Also, Geico has reduced the Named Storm deductible from 10% to 5% at no increase in premium.

Geico now has a standard navigation limit for all boats which includes U.S. and Canada inland and coastal waters. Any extended navigation beyond those limits must be endorsed onto the policy. Coverage for the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos can be added for $75.

Unfortunately, Geico has also introduced depreciation on partial losses for boats over 20 years old. The amount of depreciation to be taken off is 10% per year for each year over 20, subject to a maximum deduction of 80%. In the basic policy (i.e., without endorsement), this applies not just to specified items, but to the entire boat!

What follows is the important wording of the original depreciation clause which Geico started using in May, 2017.

“Repairs for Partial Loss: “We” will pay the reasonable cost of repairs or replacements, in accordance with quality marine repair practice, less depreciation. Depreciation shall be calculated at 10% for each year beginning with the 20th year from manufacture. In all cases, there shall remain no less than 20% residual value regardless of age.”

We objected to the change, and at our insistence, Geico agreed to offer an endorsement to the policy: “We will not deduct depreciation for repair or replacement of the following: a. fiberglass, plastic or wood hull materials; b. masts and spars; c. metal supports and framing for attached towers, T-tops and hard tops; d. bow, stern or deck railing; and e. glass.”

You may notice the endorsement doesn’t waive depreciation on marine electronics… but the depreciation applies to the age of the damaged equipment, not the date your boat was made. We don’t have any electronics over 20 years old aboard, do we?

Geico has also deleted the coverage for liability assumed under slip rental agreements. This coverage may be added back by endorsement.

If you’re insured with Geico and your policy renews after May of this year, contact Jon Horton at Jack Martin & Associates to make sure you get the Partial Waiver of Depreciation Endorsement and the Assumed Liability endorsement as soon as possible.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
jhgullett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bass River YC, South Yarmouth MA

Post by jhgullett »

In light of the foregoing, I called BOAT-US on receiving my new policy this month.
Ashley informed me of the following:

The cost for $13,000 Agreed Hull and Equipment for my 1985 Albin 27 SC is $630, down from last year's $690.

I have a zero deductible on Hull & Equipment (except in the event of a "Named Storm", in which case it will be $1,000). There is a $50 deductible for Personal Effects only

Depreciation of the "Agreed Value" in case of a partial loss has been taken to 80% this year from 90% last year given that the boat is over 20 years from its date of manufacture. I was never aware of this "fine print" modification of "Agreed Value".

I think this "depreciation" is a kind of a sneaky way of doing business. It is not declared on the "Declarations Page" but it seems that in the event of a partial loss, in the amount of $1,000 my reimbursement would be $200.

Am I understanding this correctly ?

John
jhgullett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bass River YC, South Yarmouth MA

Post by jhgullett »

I spoke again with BOAT-US, this time with a supervisor, Nikolai, who let me know that come renewal with Geico in October, the waivers (Depreciation and Assumption of Marina Liability) would be added to my policy.

Nikolai apologized that the phone staff were "not yet aware of this new development."

Thank you Mary Jo !! I knew what to ask for and stood firm.
Time on phone with Boat US: >60 minutes

John
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

John,

We too live on Cape Cod and our A 34 is a 1986. I haven't been successful in getting the endorsement added back for partial loss. I know you spoke to a "Nikolai" but "Wade" couldn't find Nikolai in the directory. He did tell me that "changes" are in the works for 2018. Do you have any more information about the supervisor you spoke to? Thank you - this is all so stressful, especially with Irma out there. Our present policy is good until 2 October.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Marcy K wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 pm I haven't been successful in getting the endorsement added back for partial loss.
No luck here either, I was told to call back soon to see if they have more options open :roll:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

RobS wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:19 pm
Marcy K wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:00 pm I haven't been successful in getting the endorsement added back for partial loss.
No luck here either, I was told to call back soon to see if they have more options open :roll:

MTOA members are eligible for the endorsement at no cost, along with other benefits. I am expecting confirmation any day now of what else would change from my current policy with Geico/BoatUS with the MTOA benefits and will share.
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

I use Amica at $914 with a $4700 deductible . I have all my insurance with Amica and being a mutual company, you get a rebate back. Think after that it was about $700 covering Portland Me to Pensicola Fl. They covered me for 93k. They don’t underwrite for larger boats regularly, but with survey, they bumped it up the chain of command and wrote me a policy. I have been a huge Amica customer for decades though with almost no claims and a retired unlimited sea captain.
Capt Brad
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Just an update: couldn’t get Geico / Boat US to waive the depreciation clause...endorsement still pending so switched to Travelers. Headed on a 5 month cruise so couldn’t take the chance with not having the hull and engine covered due to age. The MTOA membership does add a significant amount of additional coverage so if you are shopping around, be sure to look into the MTOA benefit. (Oh, if you leave your boat docked several hundred miles from where you live, be aware that travelers may have some restrictions).
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

My Geico/BoatUS policy is coming up for renewal, so I've reviewed the fine print:

“Repairs for Partial Loss: “We” will pay the reasonable cost of repairs or replacements, in accordance with quality marine repair practice, less depreciation. Depreciation shall be calculated at 10% for each year beginning with the 20th year from manufacture. In all cases, there shall remain no less than 20% residual value regardless of age. In the event of damage to plywood, plastic, fiberglass, metal, cement, or other molded material, "we" are obligated to pay only the reasonable cost of repairing the damaged area, in accordance with quality marine repair practice.”

I interpret this to mean that a fiberglass repair due to a partial loss will be paid in full, and this is what a BoatUS rep told me over the phone. But I don't like the fact that almost everything else will be subject to 30% depreciation this year on our 23YO boat.

I'll be looking into a Travelers policy.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

But I don't like the fact that almost everything else will be subject to 30% depreciation this year on our 23YO boat.
My BoatUS/Geico policy is coming up for renewal in April. 30% depreciation on a 23 year old boat? How about a 47 year old boat?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The just laugh and take your check.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Nancy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 pm ...I interpret this to mean that a fiberglass repair due to a partial loss will be paid in full, and this is what a BoatUS rep told me over the phone. But I don't like the fact that almost everything else will be subject to 30% depreciation this year on our 23YO boat.

I'll be looking into a Travelers policy.
Nancy, It was my understanding (after speaking to a Boat US rep several months ago) that the depreciation applies to ALL repairs. I'll call a rep and see what explanation I get.

Agreed, this is cause for policy shopping..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:28 pm My BoatUS/Geico policy is coming up for renewal in April. 30% depreciation on a 23 year old boat? How about a 47 year old boat?
Depreciation caps at 80%. :roll:
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

So us "old boat" guys should just send them a premium payment at 20 cents on the dollar.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Makes sense to me, Rob. Let us know how it works out.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “General Discussion”