• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Refrigerator

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Superiorboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Duluth, MN

Refrigerator

Post by Superiorboater »

What is the best refrigator for long range cruising ? I have a carrier on honda generated and a inverter. In August I plan on leaving Duluth, MN and head down the river to the Gulf of Mexico and maybe do the loop.
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Re: Refrigator

Post by crowra »

I don't know about 'best refrigerator' since they most likely all draw about the same voltage per cubic inch. IMO, the best for long range cruising would be the largest you can fit in the available space. Then size your house bank accordingly and possibly supplement it with solar and/or wind generator. My preference is 12-volt only (you can get 12/120 volt combo). Let's say you're at the dock, away from your boat for an extended period of time and lose power, it won't automatically switch to 12-volt. A small portable icemaker and cooler will also extend your refrigeration for important things like cold refreshing beverages!
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

Depends on how you cruise. We anchor for the most part and for day trips or overnights the refer is fine. For longer trips, especially when not running every day, we use a cooler primarily. A good one will hold ice for a week, holds more than the small refer, and doesn't require running the generator.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Just to clarify - some 12/120 refrigerators WILL switch to DC if they lose AC power. And will switch back when the power comes back on. My Isotherm does, quite reliably.

Do agree on the biggest you can fit, at least up to the point it meets your needs. Another possibility is to split your capacity and get a freezer. Dometic makes a nice unit - looks very much like a cooler. Keep it full and out of the sun and it should hold temps well.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Superiorboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Duluth, MN

Post by Superiorboater »

I have room for a 4.4 Q.F. I have a 1978 Albin aftcabin trawler 33'. I am hoping to leave Duluth, MN by water around mid August. And do the loop.
glk34
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mactaquac New Brunswick Canada

Re: Refrigerator

Post by glk34 »

rcwhite, just wondering what type of cooler you have that will keep ice for a week? Is it an AC/DC type? We have been using a low end AC/DC cooler but only get a couple of days to a block of ice. Maybe the high end ones are really that much better.

thanks
Iron Jack
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

I keep a 75qt Yeti in the cockpit of my 28' for additional fridge space, cocktail ice and with the optional cushion, it makes a great seat. All coolers will "burn" some ice as you get all the contents and the inner parts of the cooler down to temperature. To do this more efficiently, I use a dump a 10lb bag of ice in the cooler and salt it before adding the rest of the contents. Options like block ice or Freezer Pak's ( I like the Engel 0 degree) will make a big difference. Last year, I ran from Seattle all the way up to Tofino BC with a group and had no problem keeping ice for a week.

Oh yeah, passing on another tip this old timer shared with me. Before your trip, freeze a bunch of water bottles or jugs and use them as ice in the cooler. When they melt, drink the water or splash some in your brown liquor of choice! :)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

glk34 wrote:rcwhite, just wondering what type of cooler you have that will keep ice for a week? Is it an AC/DC type? We have been using a low end AC/DC cooler but only get a couple of days to a block of ice. Maybe the high end ones are really that much better.

thanks
Iron Jack
Well I DO NOT recommend a Yeti. I bought one and am NOT impressed. An Igloo is better.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

most of the super coolers are similar. we have a pelican, locally made guaranteed for life. yes, good idea to cool it down first before loading food and ice.

also i use it for food only. constant opening to get beverages defeats the purpose. will hold ice and frozen foods for days with minimal opening in hot july sun.

easily four days in my experience but that is about the extent of our mini vacations. good luck with the "loop"!

cheers!

Return to “General Discussion”