• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

BEWARE of U.S. Vessel Documentation Renewal Courtesy Notice

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

BEWARE of U.S. Vessel Documentation Renewal Courtesy Notice

Post by Pitou »

I want to share for those of you with USCG Documented Vessels to beware of an official looking "Courtesy Renewal Courtesy Notice" that is arriving in mailboxes everywhere which not from the USCG. It is postmarked from CA. and is actually from a documentation service company. I just received the renewal letter as well and at first glance it looks pretty official and states an accurate time frame that my documentation is due to expire in 45 days. The letter encourages you to not let your documentation expire and directs you to a website which is http://www.uscgdocumentation.us to make payment by credit card or to call 866-981-8783. What they actually are is a third party vessel documentation service who charge $75 for something that you can do yourself for $26 when your actual renewal arrives from the US Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center in VA.

There is no mention on the letter that they are a third party service, but on their website in tiny, tiny print on the footer of their home page they identify themselves as such. At first I followed the link thinking that finally, the USCG has an online option .. how nice. The site looked more consumer oriented than anything that a government entity would have and the fee schedule seemed excessive, but hey Uncle Sam is always trying to get to my wallet! I scrolled down and read the fine print. The mailing is pretty deceiving. BEWARE!

I'll post a copy of the letter later in the day.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: BEWARE of U.S. Vessel Documentation Renewal Courtesy Not

Post by Pitou »

Also note the last sentence:
APPLICATIONS ARE SUBMITTED THROUGH OUR PRIVATE DOCUMENTATION PROCESSORS.

What can't be seen in the scan is the phantom ghosting of a circular seal behind the body of the letter with a logo and term: U.S. VESSEL DOCUMENTATION

It always pays to read the fine print. :wink:
3rd party Vessel Documentation letter.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Kevin: Thanks for this really fine advise. Someone is making money off what we find for just the basic annual renewal fees.
Well, if it is faster that might make some sense.
Howard
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Great Advice, I just renewed - USCG has it set for an online renewal - real easy and you know it is going directly to them.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Just renewed mine too at http://www.USCG.mil/nvdc/. Saved a stamp!
2004 28TE
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

This doesn't affect me as I`m on the other side of the pond to you guys and we have our own system....BUT I would wonder how this `company` got hold of all you boat owners names and addresses.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

denchen wrote:This doesn't affect me as I`m on the other side of the pond to you guys and we have our own system....BUT I would wonder how this `company` got hold of all you boat owners names and addresses.
It's all public records...

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGu ... yName.html
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I received my "official sounding letter" last week. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT - As an FYI, you can renew early at the pay.gov site. Just did mine to get it out of the way.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

You're welcome Doug!

Did mine online too and had the renewal in my mailbox in only four days!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Got my new document in the mail today (renewed online) AND my renewal notice in a second envelope. Love government efficiency! :roll:
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: BEWARE of U.S. Vessel Documentation Renewal Courtesy Notice

Post by kowal_53 »

I have been considering changing my boats name, when it is in for painting. So I went on-line and found what I believed was the coast guard site, and they did indeed cover that topic. I could not see a price so I start cruising around and I clicked on renewal. They offer 2 years for $75.00, and 3 for $150.00. Something was wrong. I went to abater option and each year was $75.00. I called them and there was no one home. This was the same internet site Pitou mentioned above.

I went searching on the Albin site, and found this subject. Smelling a fish, I went back to the web pages. The one I had selected was an advertisement. Many of the other choices was theirs.

I did finally found the Government site, and confirmed that renewal was $26.00.

Now for the name change. There was no choice on the Government site that was obvious to change a name or hailing port. (Some that was clearly marked on the 3rd party site) I found a Question/Answer section, which said I needed a form CG-1258, (Exchange or Return to Documentation) and it would cost $84.00.

I was able to find the form under forms, so I guess it is not automated yet, but perhaps soon.

Incidentally I did call the coast guard and no one was answering phones, so I left a message. No call yet.

If they do call, I am going to attempt to see what might happen if I do not receive documentation changes, and I am running around with the new name on the boat. I guess I will keep records of all of the paper work so I can at least show I tried to comply.

I wonder if I will still need to renew if I change the name a few months before the last year doc expires. I was going to ask this question, but I guess this one will have to wait for a human to call me back.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP

Return to “General Discussion”