• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Average age of a 28 TE owner?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Re: Average age of a 28 TE owner?

Post by jaybap »

Were new owners of a 2004 28 FD. im 35 an my wife is 34. This is our third boat. 2 center consoles and now the Albin. were pretty pumped.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

gfuller wrote:Wow! what a small world it is.

I actually bought a trailer for mine and it's at our house.

That's going to be a nice trek back up the coast. We're planning a few trips south this summer to Stellwagon and some other fishing grounds as well as Boston to hang out for a couple of days.

Did you get the Perkins or Yanmar? I almost went for a 2005 flush deck with the Yanmar but decided to go with the classic engine box style. That's nice you're able to find one close.

You'll have to keep in touch - we make many trips out to the ledges and it's always fun to buddy boat.
We are planning on a trailer too this fall. We have gone down to Islamorada in the winter the last couple years for a couple weeks and the goal is to shift from staying in a time share condo to staying on the boat in a marina for ~1 month for the next couple year in Jan until kids become a part of the equation.

We are definitely looking forward to the trip, its certainly a long shakedown cruise but the boat has had well documented maintenance and we have BoatUS unlimited towing so it should work out alright.

The boat has a Yanmar 315. I assume you were looking at the 2 flush decks in FL? I have definitely poured over the ads for the 2 flush decks in FL (one perkins one yanmar) as well as the boat in NY. Kayla really liked the teak and holly sole and forward storage on the boat we have under contract and those seem to be fairly rare options.

I just spoke with the surveyor this morning and weather pending we should still be on for Friday. I have my fingers crossed.

Definitely open to buddy boat, Platts was a common trip for us last year and I am hoping to fish Fippennies this season as well. Goal is 1 day a week offshore weather permitting.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Hugh Gallagher
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bridgeport, CT USA

Post by Hugh Gallagher »

Hi Fuller. I am 59 and never owned a boat larger than 18'. Remember the car commercial of the guy telling a woman '' Take care of my next car''. Well that was me at small boat club I joined 5 years ago. Loved that boat from the moment I laid eyes on it. Finally, after poking and prodding him for 3 years, we made the deal for me to purchase it. Love it. Never looked back! Hugh Gallagher
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by gfuller »

Jared - That's awesome, we spent a couple of weeks in Islamorada last year, It was a great time.

It's definitely a good shakedown cruise, especially in April. That will be fun though. Yes, I've looked at a few of the FD boats in FL and decided against it. The slightly larger quarter cabin in the engine box model made us feel better about sleeping space for our 8 year old daughter and potentially another small couple. I was really 50/50 on the engine box vs FD, both have their advantages and disadvantages, you'll love that extra room for fishing though that's for sure. It sounds like a beautiful boat, be sure to post some pics!

Jbap - have you taken the boat out yet? I'm very pumped as well!

Hugh - That's excellent to hear. What a great story. I'm glad you got the perfect boat and the wait paid off!
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Gfuller, I always had an eye towards the Downeaster style boats, and they were usually owned by "older" folks.Probably because after owning other boats you realize the merits of the Downeaster hull. I was 48 when I bought my 28 and needed something my wife and then 6 year old daughter woukd feel safe in. This boat fits the bill, the deep cockpit and high bow rails and pilot house make everybody happy, after 4 seasons the only thing I'd change is moving to a 31 if I could swing it financially. Enjoy it!
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Post by jaybap »

gfuller wrote:Jared - That's awesome, we spent a couple of weeks in Islamorada last year, It was a great time.

It's definitely a good shakedown cruise, especially in April. That will be fun though. Yes, I've looked at a few of the FD boats in FL and decided against it. The slightly larger quarter cabin in the engine box model made us feel better about sleeping space for our 8 year old daughter and potentially another small couple. I was really 50/50 on the engine box vs FD, both have their advantages and disadvantages, you'll love that extra room for fishing though that's for sure. It sounds like a beautiful boat, be sure to post some pics!

Jbap - have you taken the boat out yet? I'm very pumped as well!

Hugh - That's excellent to hear. What a great story. I'm glad you got the perfect boat and the wait paid off!

Not yet. Boat is still wrapped up. Im hoping to be in by end of April. I have our first baby on the way in May so would like to have it in the water by then. Supposed to be 60 hee this weekend so hopefully i can get some work done on it.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Post by gfuller »

Atta' boy! get the boat BEFORE the baby comes :)

That's great. I've been putting a solid 10+ hours per week on mine. We'll be launching a month from tomorrow if all goes well.
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

There's certainly an element of truth to the "older" Albin owner. If you think about what these boats cost when new, combined with their more "stately" underway speeds - they just didn't appeal to the younger crowd "back in the day"! :)

Fun story - I was headed out of "The Sandhole" on the north shore of Long Island in our 28 several years ago. Motored past a big new Regal (40' ish?) with a bunch of younger adults aboard. (My recollection is that there were many VERY attractive young ladies aboard!) I'm "admiring the scenery" when I notice a few of crowd watching ME go by. I wave and hear one of them yell out to me "That's a beautiful boat!" along with several of them nodding and pointing. Gave them a honk and another wave. :) Restored my faith in the next generation of boaters!

I bought our 28 in my mid 40's. The seakeeping along with the economy of the single diesel really appealed to me. Really loved that boat and I credit it with turning my wife from someone who tolerated my boating habit into a real boating enthusiast!

Also - I'm getting this shirt!!
NotLikeMostTeens.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My introduction to Albin and AOG has been well documented over the years. http://www.boats.com/reviews/albin-28-t ... OD8PsIm6Mo
I was looking for a stable boat that would encourage us to spend more time on the water together.
I'm 63 this year and looking forward to many more years on the water. Hopefully in a 31 or 35.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Anyone who has had the pleasure (pleasure can be taken literally or sarcastically, either applies) of spending time with Doug knows that he is the reason that shirt was created.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Anyone who has had the pleasure (pleasure can be taken literally or sarcastically, either applies) of spending time with Doug knows that he is the reason that shirt was created.
Damn straight!! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:My introduction to Albin and AOG has been well documented over the years. http://www.boats.com/reviews/albin-28-t ... OD8PsIm6Mo
I was looking for a stable boat that would encourage us to spend more time on the water together.
I'm 63 this year and looking forward to many more years on the water. Hopefully in a 31 or 35.

I'd forgotten about that article! Nice to read it again. :)
Doug
Sonny IV
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

DougSea wrote:I'd forgotten about that article! Nice to read it again. :)
It appears that you're showing your age .... :lol:
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

WindyThursdayBeer.jpg
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug
Sonny IV
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

DougSea wrote:
WindyThursdayBeer.jpg
:lol:
I love those guys .. reminds me of me and a couple of my buddies! BTW .. some smart ass already gave me that card .. :?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”