• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fuel Tank Design

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Jim lanza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Punta Gorda

Fuel Tank Design

Post by Jim lanza »

I've been reading a lot lately about 'Fuel Polishing' and tank cleaning. I was wondering if any of you knew if in 1988 Albin was utilizing baffles in their fuel tanks. I realize that many specifications changed from hull to hull, but was just generally wondering. Thinking of having my 29 year old fuel tanks cleaned, but have heard that with baffles, it's almost not worthwhile.

Any responses will be appreciated.
Jim Lanza
M/V Encore
1988 Albin 40 Sundeck
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Re: Fuel Tank Design

Post by jetter »

I opened my tank two years ago for cleaning. Prior to cutting inspection ports I contacted the manufacturer Luther and they emailed me a drawing showing the location of the baffles. It was not really necessary as you can see the welds on the outside of the tank. Because of the thin tank wall I had to have backing plates made up to give a solid surface to bolt the new inspection plates to. Its a bit of a "project".
Russell
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

My tanks have baffles. When I first got my boat I did try to polish the fuel as I was having issues. I was able to get the suction hose under the adjacent baffles, but I never got any crud out IF there was any. (I don't believe there was much if any). In other words it was a waste of time.
I replaced my lift pump and went to a multi stage filtering setup and so far have not had any further fuel issues.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Don't know about your model but my 1973 A25 had a baffle spot welded top and bottom that broke loose at some time prolly in the distant past. Since I am in the middle of replacing my engine, I thought I'd remove the tank, clean and paint etc. you know the drill. Why would we ever just stop!? Upon removal I heard the telltale slam, bang, clunk in the tank. Removed the sender and tried to see what I could and it was not pretty. There was still about half a gallon of fuel in the tank and lots of black crud swirling about.

I was having no fuel problems, filters were working just fine, then again last year was a low use year what with the failing engine. I ended up inventing an access plate and would HIGHLY recommend just buying the plate from SeaBuilt. Search around and find the best price, they are not cheap, but I figure I have about a grand in my less than stellar cheap ass substitution, as unique as it is. (Not quite, but my labor is free.) Their list price for an 8" plate with 6" access is around $180 I think. And they are very nice people.

Here is a pic of the crud that accumulated on the detached baffle. Not good, and I was worried it might knock off the pick-up tube. So it had to go. I had to cut it in half with tin snips to get it out the hole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

$1,000 for an access hatch for your fuel tank?!
Sweet Mary, you could have paid me $500.

You can do your own access hatches for about $30-40 each if your tank is in good shape.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8595&start=30

Return to “General Discussion”