• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shakedown x2

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Shakedown x2

Post by special k »

the fridge on my 28 quit 2 seasons ago. it's only real purpose was keeping condiments and bait cool when we were away. never really used it when weekending or on vacation. (battery consumption) we use a super-cooler for these trips. for now it is a storage cabinet. i will replace it in the future but other boat priorities keep popping up. B.O.A.T.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Both banks are fully charged, All connections are clean, I have received the new starter and relay, I understand it takes some grindinding to fit the new one and there's new wiring to sort out, I'm hoping this is it,,
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

I received the new starter from Penninsular, it does not fit! Will require grinding of the starter housing to clear the exhaust crossover, Mitch actually suggested grinding away a bit of the exhaust.! Local shops say they cannot get the parts need to renew the prestolite starter, we are trying a Rhode Island electric motor shop next,,,,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea in 97 or so they changed the starter setup to a different starter and modified the motors. So the current starters don't fit without mods to the older motors:/
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I had Serenity plugged in all winter to maintain a light, heater and battery charger, I thought might have issues with my 4D. However, I started the beast up the night before splash down and it she started up. Next morning, boat in the water, engine would not turn. The 27 was useless. I was even able to charge at the dock, but after an hour nothing. Called Boat US, their boat came over and jumped started me and all was good. Pulled into my marina, and the bow thruster wouldn't bow thrust.. No power from a dead battery. First time I backed the boat into her slip with no bow thruster. Interesting to say the least. Replaced the 4D the next day, and all is good. After 5 years the 4D had it.
I had the "heater plugs" removed during the winter lay up. Before they were removed the draw on the alternator and the batteries were significant. It would take 5-10inutes before the voltage meter read 14 volts. I was wondering if the draw of the plugs contributed to the life expectancy of the 4D. On a prior boat, I had 8D's that lasted 8 years.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

certainly not helping the situation, any excess drag on a battery will shorten its life. Im gonna need to replace my house batt this year or next as its over 8 years old!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Max the air heaters have an ill effect on the belts and put an unnecessary load on the alternator. Haven't we covered this already? Just unplug them but plug 'em back in when the bride is present, especially with a light southerly breeze...(If I recall your bow points North?). Seriously, the amount of "less smoke" at cold start to me was not worth the heavy DC load, especially if you need to use your thruster to get out of your slip when the air heaters are still on.

BTW, this talk of battery loads, battery life, and batteries that all of a sudden give up the ghost brings to light this recent article of mine: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/installi ... -dvm-boat/

(Sorry for the hi-jacking Jeremy!)
Last edited by RobS on Fri May 19, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

No worries...much more interesting/informative than the conversation I started
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 4:05 pm No worries...much more interesting/informative than the conversation I started
I knew you wouldn't give a hoot - was just being polite :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Well I found a starter shop that is willing to rebuild the ole prestolite starter,, so fingers crossed,,,,,,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Excellent! Keep us apraised of the situation!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

RobS wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 3:32 pm Max the air heaters have an ill effect on the belts and put an unnecessary load on the alternator. Haven't we covered this already? Just unplug them but plug 'em back in when the bride is present, especially with a light southerly breeze...(If I recall your bow points North?). Seriously, the amount of "less smoke" at cold start to me was not worth the heavy DC load, especially if you need to use your thruster to get out of your slip when the air heaters are still on.

BTW, this talk of battery loads, battery life, and batteries that all of a sudden give up the ghost brings to light this recent article of mine: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/installi ... -dvm-boat/

(Sorry for the hi-jacking Jeremy!)
In the spirit of hi-jacking (for a worthy cause):

I will finally have my SeaBoard Marine DVM's installed next week once the engraving plate is complete and in hand. The 3 DVM's (House, Engine & Genset) will be installed at my AC/DC panel exactly as per your detailed article Rob. :wink:

I'm very much looking forward to accurate battery voltage monitoring. Thank You!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Kev, I'm sure it will be a "first class" install, looking fwd to the pics...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Rob, your right, I do face north, However, I don't use the bow thruster to pull out of my slip. My point on the heater plugs in my opinion, create an abnormal drain on the batteries until the engine reaches operating temp.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Got the original starter rebuilt, She started right up and is now in her slip!😎,

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”