• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Liferaft Mounting and Radar Mast

Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

28TE Liferaft Mounting and Radar Mast

Post by Jaredh »

We have been getting Isla ready for tuna season up here in Maine, and that means adding a whole bunch of safety gear. We are shooting for the 50+ mile certification during our dockside inspection for commercial vessels. This means a canister type liferaft (No valise solas a rafts exist). The mounting was fairly straight forward. Ken Hilton suggested sealing the holes liberally with 4200 when mounting to avoid any chance of water entering the core, which we did. Here is what she looked like all mounted up.

Obviously the radar has some interference issues now, so I called up a local fabricator up here called Cumberland Ironworks. Using Pitou's radar mast on his Albin 28TE as an example, they have come up with a plan to build a hinging mast about 36" tall (the hinge will allow the boat to be trailered) with the radar half way up. Wings will allow antenna and light mounting, and there will be a lifting point (hopefully) to haul tuna over the side. There will also be two forward diagonal supports to keep everything secure. This is being constructed now and I will update with some photos once I have them. The additional antenna mounting real estate will be helpful as we are adding satellite weather and an antenna for our sat phone to allow use in the pilot house.

There are some shots of the epirb and injury reporting placard. The remaining placards are below the electrical panel down below.

Finally a photo of the guys I fish with and my fiancee Kayla doing our first USCG monthly safety drill. Kayla was a trooper for hopping in the water, it was in the low - mid 40s!

2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 28TE Liferaft Mounting and Radar Mast

Post by DougSea »

Looking good! Just make sure that new mast is affixed to the forward arch rail well. Mine was bolted to the radar plate and snapped it off in rough weather. I had a local guy re-weld it, but would have prefered not to have to rewire everything!

She's a keeper. :) I don't think my bride would do that!!

(Okay - I KNOW Kat wouldn't do that!!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

We had our USCG Dockside exam yesterday, and got our new radar mast installed. Once we started digging into the install we decided that the sat phone dock, sat weather, and additional vhf install would wait until after our wedding (June 3) and honeymoon (traveling down to nantucket and MV on Isla). I think that is a job I am going to have a pro tackle due to the long cable runs and critical nature of those systems.

Here is a shot of our commercial fishing inspection sticker... 100 miles +!

Here are some shots of the radar mast install. We added a Hella LED masthead anchor light. I have plans to mount 6 led flood lights as well. I like the look and think it came our pretty well. You can see the provisions for diagonal forward supports, those will be installed next week.

Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Looking good!
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

JackK wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 amLooking good!
Thanks!

The USCG Inspector asked if it was a new boat when he came down below to review paperwork... I can't think of a better compliment on the condition of a 15 year old boat than that.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Terrific job! Looking good!!!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

I got the diagonal supports mounted today and added a halyard for a flag to the mast along with a cleat on the cabin roof.

It seems pretty bomb proof. I am planning on mounting a provision for a block and tackle on the mast to haul tuna over the side. I will likely use a sailboat boom vang mast fitting and drill and tap the mast for hardware. My only concern is the compression load on the factory radar arch. We shall see. If it breaks I'll have to build it stronger!
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Looks great!

Enjoy your honeymoon and the trip into our neck of the woods (water?)

Great to see a good boat being taken well care of!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I really like that mast...would you mind messaging me the cost on that item and who made it? Would consider one for Shady! I don't see the radar arch surviving a large tuna, but mine did survive my 210lbs so maybe (mine is also aluminum while yours looks SS)! lol
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:03 am I really like that mast...would you mind messaging me the cost on that item and who made it? Would consider one for Shady! I don't see the radar arch surviving a large tuna, but mine did survive my 210lbs so maybe (mine is also aluminum while yours looks SS)! lol
Hi Jeremy,

The mast ended up running about $1650 including the antenna mounts, most hardware and tax. A local company called Cumberland Ironworks in Pownal, Maine made it. Here is a link to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Cumberland-Iro ... 880054116/

I don't believe they have an active website at the moment.

I am definitely thrilled with the mast and quality of the craftsmanship. The provisions to fold it down and addition of diagonal supports with nice looking countersunk backing plates showed a great attention to detail by the builder.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jared
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Let there be light!

Added 6 of these LEDs to the radar mast. Had to give them a try at $15.99 a pair. So far so good. On an overnight to Platts Bank in the gulf of Maine they threw enough light to attract a ton of squid and herring. We have also started using a portable generator on offshore overnights and it has alleviated one of my biggest concerns when overnighting on the hook... dead batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OS ... UTF8&psc=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
nickr917
Mate
Mate
Home Port: None

Post by nickr917 »

What generator are you using and are running it directly into the shore power outlet? Do you need a special adapter or is it just a normal 120V to 30 AMP adapter?
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Most go with a honda generator, but I went with one from champion for ~ 1/2 the price. So far so good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Pow ... lsrc=aw.ds

I plug directly into shore power with a basic adapter. I have had no polarity issues that I have seen discussed elsewhere.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”