• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Old radar cable removal help!

jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Old radar cable removal help!

Post by jaybap »

I started my new electronics install on my new to me 28 Albin today. I had an existing older ray marine radar. I began pulling the old cable through the 2" rail to starboard access panel. i got it pulled through until what i think is the 90 into the access and it stops dead. All my body weight won't budge it. Almost as its hung up. Anyone have major issues getting that cable out? 3 hours later and still no go. i have everything installed but no radar.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: Old radar cable removal help!

Post by Jay Knoll »

JayPap

Did you attach a line to the end of the cable so you can pull the new one back up above deck? If so, have you considered cutting the old cable inside the boat, attaching another line to the cut end and then pulling the cable back out above deck, thus taking the line with it. Attach the new cable to the line, pull it on thru!

If you didn't attach a line, can you use a flat metal snake and feed it down past the obstruction, tape it onto the cable and then pull the whole mess back above deck?

Good luck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

is it stuck in the arch or going to the overhead box? when I removed my radar I cut the cable in the access panel and used it to pull the new cable to the new dome. But I also disconnected my arch to make access to the wires easily. Likely is that the hole has sealant in it and is getting stuck on that.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

Thats a great point. I was trying to avoidremoving the arc as it looks bonded pretty damn good. I didnt think about the sealent in there. Next step is to try a metal snake. Only other option i can think of is lifting up the arc.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would just pull the arch. That way you can just do it right and reseal the arch
Tom Cunningham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego-Mulege

Post by Tom Cunningham »

The arch removal is easier than it looks especially with the weight of the radome removed. Be careful not to pinch any other wires that might in there.........
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

looks like ill remove the arc. It def looks like a project. Taking your advise Tom.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Would love to see pictures of the arch removal, as I'm dong that pre-transport on my boat and also anticipating replacing the old Furuno. What electronics package are you using?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I should have photos from when I removed my arch. See what I can find! Anything specific you want to see?
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

I have the new raymarine Axiom with quantum chirp radar.
wavedweller
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by wavedweller »

If you have Raymarine Axiom and quantum chirp radar, why not use the Wifi connection to the Quantum. That's what I just did on my 40' NSC. I left the old cable in place and used it for the power connection only. Synced the Quantum to Axiom's built-in Wifi. It's easy to do and works great.
Kindred Spirit - 2006 Albin 40 North Sea Cutter Hull # 11
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I replaced my radar 3 years ago. I cut the cable at the access panel to starboard and taped a string to the bitter end. I had to drill larger hole (3/4") in the radar arch to pull the new cable through, Use plenty of wire ease lube on the cable to permit it to go smoothly. I would recommend a wire pulling compound used by electricians to prevent the cable from caking up. The pulling compound comes in a quart squeeze container. IF you have to use a snake, don't use a metal one, but a fibre glass one that is sold at Home Depot or on-line. Metal ones may cut the insulation on your wires. If you have a second "hand" to pull the cable back and forth, life is a lot easier. A wife or significant other works.

have fun
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

i am using the wifi cnnection for data, but i wanted to run the new power cable. In retrospect it was the wrong idea.
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

I had to pull my old Raymarine Radar and Reinstall it when I had my Albin 28 painted this winter, it had to come off to get into the paint shop. It was way to tight on that 90 degree bend to get it back in, was impossible. Finally, and everyone cover your eyes, I had to take a drill and make that 90 degree opening bigger. FINALLY we got that cable through but was not easy. I am dying to know what you think of the Axiom, I am looking to upgrade to that next year.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”