• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Broken Engine Zinc (anode)

gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Barbados

Re: Broken Engine Zinc (anode)

Post by gcmarshall »

RobS wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:10 pm Great job Gary!

Here's some additional info & pics in a topic I started on another forum. If you're not registered you should, it's free..

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/p ... c-install/
Thanks Rob! Trying to learn from the master.

Interesting to learn that you do coat your zinc heads with a sealing compound. I suspect it doesn't make a huge difference either way. Hard to imagine salt water getting through them after they are tightened down.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

There's nothing on a boat that I assemble dry.... it's either pipe dope, grease or anti-seize depending on the task at hand...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Good point....

what's the diff between grease and anti-seize? For certain fasteners (esp. on the outboards which get a lot wetter) I use a lot of evinrude triple guard grease on bolts.... but never thought about the anti-seize.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Anti-seize on high heat fasteners - stuff like turbo to manifold studs, exhaust elbow to turbo bolts, etc. Otherwise I hate the stuff, WAY too messy!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Post by mjohnh »

Rydlyme and Barnacle Buster: I think that you can order that stuff off of Amazon.....also, as I recall, Rydlyme has a diagram (maybe on the container) on how to set up a pump system, temporarily , to sue their material...I have never done this, but will need to...
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Yea - I can order it....but with shipping, duty it gets really expensive to import to Barbados. So the sulfonic acid, from my research, appeared to be a good substitute.
I'm going to take a good look at the engine this weekend and see what size hoses I will need.

It makes sense to do this when you are going to replace all your zincs.... or, take out all your zincs and replace them with just the bolt end, as they will be eaten.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”