• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Adding a cleat for the windlass

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Adding a cleat for the windlass

Post by Pedro »

I installed a Lewmar profish on my 28, has anybody installed a cleat next to the windlass? I've seen one or two posts with a cleat to starboard in the 3" deck space between the pulpit and the anchor locker, but it looks pretty offcenter? Doesn't the rode rub on the safety rail? I was thinking it would fit right next to the starboard side of windlass on the actual pulpit, but it would be tight.Anyone have input on what they installed?
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Re: Adding a cleat for the windlass

Post by Alan_Douville »

I don't have a cleat, and I'll send you a pic shortly of how mine looks installed, works great.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Alan_Douville »

Here is a pic of my windlass setup. Have not had an issue with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

What brand windlass is that? what do you attach your anchor line to when using the anchor?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I don't have a cleat either. I have the Good Windlass on mine and that has an internal solenoid in the gearbox that locks the anchor in place. Pretty sure the Lewmar one does also.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

20140321_162159.jpg
I mounted a cleat next to the windlass and it works fine. The distance from the roller is long enough that the rode does not chaff. Just lead the rode to the cleat on the center side. Maybe it is not true for every type of windlass but I have read to never let the rode stay on the windlass while anchored and to never force the windlass to pull the boat when retrieving.
By the way the rubber buttons in the previous picture look like they are ready for replacement. Once they crack salt water enters the switch and causes it to fail. You can replace the rubber part separately. I replaced mine two years ago and the red one lasted little over a year in the Florida sun so this time I put the same grey one in and just turned it 180 degrees so the arrow points in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Alan_Douville »

Russ where did you get the replacement buttons?

Mine is a Lewmar, and she is in Freshwater, never seen Salt.
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Here are a couple of places but you can Google them (SPA 10516) and maybe find them cheaper. I cannot remember where I purchased them but I bought a few grey ones because of the shipping costs. When I noticed the red one failing I was shocked to see that it had already accumulated salt crystals on top of the switch. In fresh water you don't have to worry so much but corrosion will eventually cause problems.

https://www.sailorsams.com/Red-or-Grey- ... 12512.html

http://www.imtra.com/fb9bb7dd-f130-4ff9 ... detail.htm
Last edited by Russell on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Last time I checked lewmar specifically said allways to tie off to a cleat. But good does say it's fine not to. Part of the reason I want a good windlass next year
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Pedro wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm I installed a Lewmar profish on my 28, has anybody installed a cleat next to the windlass? I've seen one or two posts with a cleat to starboard in the 3" deck space between the pulpit and the anchor locker, but it looks pretty offcenter? Doesn't the rode rub on the safety rail? I was thinking it would fit right next to the starboard side of windlass on the actual pulpit, but it would be tight.Anyone have input on what they installed?
On both my 28 and 31, which has the ProFish, I run the rode or chain snubber through the 2 bow chocks on the pulpit and back to either the forward cleat on the starboard or port bow cleat and done. Boat rides fine and the load is taken off of the windlass gypsy. Easy. peasy.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:39 pm Last time I checked lewmar specifically said allways to tie off to a cleat. But good does say it's fine not to. Part of the reason I want a good windlass next year
You'll be please with it 100%. Customer service with them is great and spare parts are all reasonably priced. Even with shipping to the UK they're still competitive with lewmar who are a client of mine!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Best part of using a good is they are located on my route from my house to marina. Lol. About 20 minutes from the boat!
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Thanks guys, I went with a Lewmar wired remote that I mounted in the starboard anchor locker,I can plug it in when needed and it stays under the deck well out of the way,
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Mine has a wireless option board mounted. This way if I'm single handling it I can be on the bow and keep tabs on things.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”