• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 pilot house ac

Matthew
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Fernandina Beach Florida

28 pilot house ac

Post by Matthew »

Hello everybody. Our previous boat was destroyed by Matthew and we are now looking again and are interested in the 28. As we live in Florida I hope to have ac in the pilot house. Can the ducting be run to the pilot house? What size unit to do both cabin and pilot house? Anybody deleted the water cooled unit and just used a roof mount on top of the pilot house?
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: 28 pilot house ac

Post by catalina_mike »

I don't have A/C in my helm but after doing my electrical I believe it is possible behind the restroom wall or through the floor access in the restroom. Now thats from memory however the load because of all the glass will be huge and I would doubt you would have enough capacity in the ducting that would fit to keep it comfortable. Now there is some room under my helm that might be modified to do the pilot house as you could get good size vents installed. Might be worth taking a look at the space. Hopefully someone has do it and you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Good luck and it sounds interesting.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yes it can be done, just takes some creative routing. As to the size I don't know. I will say when I run the ac with the cabin door opened and the enclosure closed it does cool off the helm area nicely...
Personally I would not install a roof mounted unit. But that's just me...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

You might want to consider fabricating shade cloth for the front and side windows if you don't already have it. My sense is that would ease the load on the AC. It would certainly help protect the helm area from FL sun damage.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”