• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 te horn

fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

28 te horn

Post by fairtide »

When I sea-trialed my new 28TE, I noted that the drop-in horn that is mounted on the starboard side of the wheelhouse was rather tinny in sound and not very effective. Albin (the seller) said that it would be looked at and I was told prior to purchase that another unit was installed as a replacement. It was still a far fry from what I would call a useful horn, despite the 106 db rating on the package that I got with other add-on manuals. Our club marina requires sound signals on leaving and entering, for safety's sake, so the horn is used for more than the signals that we learn about in boating safety classes.
I know that it should be easy to disconnect this drop in unit and somehow get the wires snaked up to the radar arch where a real horn could be installed. Are there any hints for doing this? Also, any remarks on horns that any of our members have found to be either really good or otherwise?
Fair Tide
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: 28 te horn

Post by Pitou »

fairtide wrote:I know that it should be easy to disconnect this drop in unit and somehow get the wires snaked up to the radar arch where a real horn could be installed. Are there any hints for doing this? Also, any remarks on horns that any of our members have found to be either really good or otherwise?
Fair Tide
Getting a horn up on the arch is a good safety move. I am assuming you have the 28TE Hardtop as I do. My boat came through with an AFI 12 volt 118 dB single trumpet mounted to the underside of the radar plate on the arch / works great. Moving your horn to this location will give better signal to area boaters.

Snaking the wires through the arch will be a good boat project / I've been there. After mounting a life raft on the hardtop, I needed to get the radar and horn elevated. I subsequently added an antenna mast mounted onto the radar mounting plate. Depending upon what wires and how many are currently running through the arch tubing will determine the ease or in my case the difficulty pulling more wire through. No big deal, just more work.

I needed to remove the side panel behind the side slider window (helm side)to access all the wiring going to the arch and ultimately had to remove the 2 bolts on each side holding the arch to the hardtop in order to pull existing wires and snake a couple of new additions. With the arch bolts out I could manipulate the existing wires and snake the new ones through along with an extra pull for future project (satellite radio next season) with a buddy who added a needed 3rd and 4th hand. Ended up securing a couple of safety lines to the arch as not to loose it overboard. After all said / not bad just another PITA boat project.
By the way, you'll find a green bonding wire running up to the arch. Be sure it runs up through the hardtop and is bolted down between the arch and top. Mine had been disconnected, probably when the arch was originally removed to install the electronics. Libke all boat projects, patience will get the job done.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

My horn had the Fischer-Price sound as well. Someone here (Denis maybe?) replaced his with a defender horn. I am not as much a d.i.y.'r as you guys. I used the same mounting bracket that was there. The new horn is loud and proper. If I can find the db rating I'll edit this post.

This is the one I just installed. But, it is only 114 db. I think you want louder.

Item #: 552133
Manufacturer: ONGARO MARINE
Model #: 10005
Shipping Weight: 2.03 Lbs.
Our Price: $74.99
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

My horn was already installed under the hard top so the wiring was there. I installed a dual trumpet horn in the same location. I needed to make new spacers to obtain the proper angle so the horns would not fill up with water. You should have heard the sick sound that came out of my new horn the first time I had to use it. :oops: It was full of water and it got quite a chuckle from the guys on the boat. :lol:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

Thanks for the feedback on the ineffective horn that the manufacturer stuck on my boat. I found a really nice item for some of you to consider, but it has some installation and possible cost drawbacks. It is manufactured by Kahlenberg/Airchime and it requires 3 phase circa 400 volt service to operate the 7.5 hp motor. The horn weighs 220 pounds and no price was given. It would make my 28TE rather impressive in more ways than I can imagine. Maybe the horn costs more than the boat.
If you have such a horn, let me know if blows gelcoat off the substrate.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

fairtide wrote:Thanks for the feedback on the ineffective horn that the manufacturer stuck on my boat. I found a really nice item for some of you to consider, but it has some installation and possible cost drawbacks. It is manufactured by Kahlenberg/Airchime and it requires 3 phase circa 400 volt service to operate the 7.5 hp motor. The horn weighs 220 pounds and no price was given. It would make my 28TE rather impressive in more ways than I can imagine. Maybe the horn costs more than the boat.
If you have such a horn, let me know if blows gelcoat off the substrate.
They do make a smaller version:

http://www.kahlenberg.com/commer.html

But your pick sounds like a lot more fun!

While the small version costs less than the boat they're still pretty expensive and require a whole bunch of infrastructure (you have to add a compressed air tank and solenoid system). I've been thinking about going with a less expensive air-horn:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

We use these at our club as part of our race committee signaling system (an 'OLIE' for those of you who race) and they air VERY LOUD and have that great air horn sound. Haven't thought it all the way through yet but you can't beat the price.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”