• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 Albin TE Wondering about Trailering this thing

Keysersosa
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bremerton, WA

28 Albin TE Wondering about Trailering this thing

Post by Keysersosa »

Ok,
Looking at this boat really hard. I live up in the Pacific Northwest and love to fish. This boat is says is 7500lbs. Well that seems a little light for me when looking at this thing. My rig will tow 10500 lbs. Just wondering if I am seeing these weights right and what everyone who does pull it out, what they use.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Re: 28 Albin TE Wondering about Trailering this thing

Post by Jaredh »

I just ordered a trailer for mine from Loadmaster. The recommended their trailer model 300R615NB. This is a triple axle 16,002lb GVWR trailer. They estimated the boat to weight between 9000lbs and 10000lbs ready to use with personal items on board. I believe the trailer weighs around 2000lbs (steel not aluminum).

In my calculations I assumed that my "ready to roll" weight on the trailer would be between 12,000lbs and 13,000lbs. This includes a healthy safety margin, and is right at the bumper pull tow limit of my 2011 Chevy 2500hd Duramax.

I will let you know how it pulls later this fall, but having towed our significantly lighter and smaller Grady 270 with the same truck I wouldn't want any less tow vehicle.

I think this is a job for a 3/4 ton or larger diesel truck. Particularly if you are planning on long trips at highway speeds.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

These are towable. I have seen a couple in your area on trailer's. You might talk with Bellingham Yachts. They have a manufacturer in the So. Bay area of Calif. that will build it for you. They were the NW Dealer for the Albin back when in production. They also get some nice units in from time to time. You do want a 2500 to 3500 series to tow these big boys.
Howard
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Keysersosa...that is hilarious.

Welcome aboard! Have you posted on the new members yet? I am too lazy to look. And why would we believe your story with a name like that? Too funny.

Good luck on the trailer search. Listen to whwells, he has lots to share on the bigger boats. Get a good one, you won't be sorry. Too big for my comfort level, but certainly doable.

Now go round up the usual suspects...
Captnickm
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kemah, Tx

Post by Captnickm »

I modified an older sailboat trailer for mine and towed it 2400 miles round trip this summer. I will agree with what was said above. A absolute minimum of a 2500 diesel tow truck is needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1996 Albin 28te - 370 Cummins
1986 Albin 27 SC - 110 Yanmar
Johny74
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Edgewater, NJ

Post by Johny74 »

As mentioned you never buy a trailer that is rated just for the boat. You always figure fuel, cargo, gear and especially the trailer weight. That being said to be on the safe side I would get a trailer rated for 16k lbs min. The heavier the trailer is rated for the longer it will last you and less wear and tear on the bearings, tires, suspension, etc.

Funny part is no one is mentioning that to legally transport this a 28 Albin you are required to get over sized permits for each state because she's 10' wide. Legal limit for width is 8'6" wide and 13'6" for height. "Don't forget to check your height". Most of the times just the radar I remove for transport and bungy it upside down on the arch depending on the unit so you don't have to unplug it. "good idea to wrap it in carpet to so you don't scratch it.

I am a commercial boat hauler in the north east "over twenty years hauling boats" and haul at least a dozen or so 28's a year. I use a Hostar hydraulic trailer with air ride suspension which is the best trailer because it's adjustable to properly fit the hull. By law I must cross the weight stations when open because I'm commercial which is why I must obtain the oversized/wide load permits. Being registered privately you don't have to cross the weight stations so odds are they wouldn't stop you either. The other reason we also pull permits "other than its the law lol" especially when going far is road construction. Some highways are down to one lane with barriers and let me tell you I've been is some tight spots before even with a 10' load.

If I was to purchase a trailer for my 28, I would definitely get the triple axle Load Master "No reason to spend $65k on a hydraulic trailer". It will track better and last for many years if taken care of properly like rinsing her down after a salt water splash and always grease your bearings! Best of luck....

BTW, straps are the key during transport. Always use a min. of four straps "one per cleat" and neatly tie up the excess.
I am not here to advertise, just to make sure everyone that tow their vessel does it the right way. My advice is always free!!!
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

We just got Isla out of the water and on the trailer this week. Height on the trailer is about 13'4" to the top of the radar arch. We will be folding down the radar mast, removing the outriggers, and removing the life raft. Definitely a large boat on the trailer, I will report back on how she handles next week after we move her to our house.
ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Richmond,CA

Post by ksquared »

The NorCal trailer builder I would use and previous referred to is pacific trailers. they make great trailers. But the trailers are actually built in Socal, Norcal location is mainly service and distribution.

https://www.pacifictrailers.com/?utm_so ... gK6LfD_BwE
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Hauled Isla home from the marina last week. Wide load permits were easy and only $6 for Maine. Height was over 13'6" but we didn't encounter any issues. I may need to remove the fold down radar mast from the arch and pull the raft off the roof before we haul down to FL in Jan.

It pulled great but I wouldn't want any less truck than our 2011 2500HD Diesel. Loadmaster did a good job placing axles and bunks, the trailer required no adjustment. I knew when they asked if it was an engine box or flush deck for axle placement purposes that they knew their stuff.

I wouldn't want to haul and launch every weekend but it is doable with the right trailer and truck. Be sure to call your insurance company beforehand as well, I had to add additional coverage due to the weight and over width dimensions of the trailer. After an accident is not the time to be questioning your liability coverage with an oversized load.

Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Just finished a round trip from Scarborough, Me to Islamorada, FL. Loadmaster trailer worked great. For anyone interested the boat weighed 10,200lbs on the fork lift with an empty holding and water tank and 1/2 tank fuel. Even with my 2011 2500HD Duramax I was pushing the tow limit. Great trip though!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Sweet!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Saco Bay Tackle cap and a FL sword .. awesome!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

Jared,
Nice photos! Racking some hours eh!
Brad,
Mattapoisett Ma!
Capt Brad
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Capt Brad wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:43 am Jared,
Nice photos! Racking some hours eh!
Brad,
Mattapoisett Ma!
Tough to enjoy a boat without racking up some hours!

Think we are a bit over 300 hours on her since we launched her back in April. Currently at about 1350.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Jaredh »

Pitou wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 pm Saco Bay Tackle cap and a FL sword .. awesome!
Thanks, have to have my lucky fishing hat!

Bit if a learning curve down there but we ended up catching blackfin tuna, mahi, kings, cero macs, bluefish and a couple sailfish.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”