• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Blisters

gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Barbados

Blisters

Post by gcmarshall »

Are blisters common on the 28?

I bought my 2005 FD model at the beginning of the year. It was wetslipped in Florida, and now sits at a mooring in Barbados. I didn't notice any blisters when I bought it, but recently they have been popping up. I have hundreds just above the waterline, all around the boat.

The pic really doesn't do them justice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: Blisters

Post by Sisu22 »

That is interesting... I don't think I've ever seen a blister like that above the waterline. Also, I don't think that that boat is cored above the WL, so makes it all the more interesting. What is the discoloration? Are the uniformly all around the waterline?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

No real discolouration that I have noticed. When I haul the boat I guess I will see more clearly.
It exists all around the boat, but more prevalent on the starboard side than the port.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Hello Gary, was thinking about you watching the Irma path. What effects did you see?

Change in environment going from most slips to a mooring. Now there is much more direct sun exposure (heat) on the hullsides. Is it worse on the side that is primarily in the sun or does she move around enough that the sun exposure is pretty much even all around? That's gelcoat, not paint, right? I have only heard of one other 28TE with blisters, and it too was a later model boat..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Hauled the boat up, and took some more blister shots. Time to do some maintenance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

So would this be a non-osmotic blister?
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

I'm not sure of the type. Not very familiar with them. We sanded them out now, as you can see in the pics. I think we will just fill them with epoxy resin mix and see how it goes for the season. They are really only just slightly below and above the "racing line" or whatever you call the strip. Hardly any where there is bottom paint.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

What is the build date on your boat - was the hull laid in the winter?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Tree wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 am What is the build date on your boat - was the hull laid in the winter?
Just bought it at the beginning of this year, so no idea what time of year it was laid. It is a 2005 model.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

gcmarshall wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:44 am
Tree wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:58 am What is the build date on your boat - was the hull laid in the winter?
Just bought it at the beginning of this year, so no idea what time of year it was laid. It is a 2005 model.
Ok on the starboard hand stern quarter is the hull number - we can identify it from that - should start with AUL
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

AUL28852D505

What does this tell us?
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

I'm no fiberglass authority, but I've never seen or heard of any blistering above the WL like that.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Sisu22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:32 am I'm no fiberglass authority, but I've never seen or heard of any blistering above the WL like that.
That "bottom paint" line was from the previous owner who kept the boat at a sheltered dock in a canal. I transported the boat from Florida to Barbados and have the boat on a mooring in the open Atlantic Ocean. So, I have to raise the line a few inches. The boat does a fair bit of rocking at the mooring.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”