• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

squeal from belts

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

squeal from belts

Post by RicM »

Of course I'm getting ready to leave on our longest journey on our new (to us) 28 TE and this week I start with a squeal from what we used to call the fan belts on start up. Only then, only briefly. It has been colder the last few mornings. We will be covering about a 100 nm next week going from Narragansett Bay to Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, and Hyannis. Should I be concerned?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

What you here are the belts for the alternator. Lots of drag on the alternator to produce the current needed. I have picked up that squeal more than once. I found pushing the RPM up a little and then backing it down right away made it go away. You do not want to let it squeal for long. The belts are slipping and the heat and wear will destroy the belts. Just a little on start up will give you a little time to correct but I would adjust tension ASP. You have some options.

First you could adjust the belt tension. Go to the alternator and loosen the bolt connecting the bracket to the alternator. Slide some form of lever down between your engine and alternator. If you can also loosen the bottom bolt holding the alternator on the motor. This will allow the alternator to adjust easier. If not just use more muscle on the lever.

Use pressure on the lever to slide the alternator on its bracket so it increases pressure on the belts. Use enough pressure so the belts feel good and tight but not enough to stretch the belts. Hold pressure on lever and tighten the bolt.

Check your tension adjustment after tightening the bolts back down. Push on the belts between the engine top pulley and the alternator top pulleys. They should feel tight and taught but you should still be able to force a ½ inch droop in the belts with good amount of downward hand pressure. You do not want it to be too tight or you can take the bearings out on your alternator. To lose Squeal.

You can also remove your belts and match them up at any auto parts store. Wish I hade the Gates number for you, but I keep that on the boat. The number I have is a Yanmar Number if it helps. (119773-7750)

I keep an extra set of belts and filters on the boat for back up just incase.

A quick fix for any marina could get dun in less than an hour.

Good luck
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yep. It's the drag on the alternator. Could be that the belts are loose or just worn out. Could also be that your battery is unusually low, placing extra demand on the alternator at start up.
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

belt dressing...

Post by craw_daddy »

there is an aerosol can of belt dressing that may stop the squeaky belt. It adds a little more friction & conditions teh belt too.. you can buy it at most auto parts stores.

--Dave
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Hey Ric -

make sure your battery is up to snuff before you leave. If it's dropping to low voltage, it can put a big load on the alternator for a few seconds after cranking and make the belt squeal. (Check the belt tension too, but I don't think you have enough hrs to have worn it out unless it's been running loose a long time). If you just have a couple of group 27 batteries, they don't last too long.

Have a great cruise! You should have awesome weather. Merry Kate just did a 300 nm round trip from DC to York River loaded to the gunnels w/ family and stuff. 178 gallons and 20 hrs on the engine - ran like a sewing machine the whole time!

Ed
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Exactly the same situation with my belt.
Slight squeal when pushed above idle and just back off and it stops.
Doesn't seem to last too long, but I'll need to watch.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”