• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Water collecting outboard of stringers

Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Water collecting outboard of stringers

Post by Sisu22 »

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this bilge issue. I have water collecting on the outboard sides of the stringers that doesn't seem to drain down into the main bilge. Granted, there is not supposed to be water there - but is there a limber hole or something else that should be draining this?

This shot is on the stbd side under the rear hatch. Fuel tank is visible to the right of this pic.
Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 11.59.42 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Re: Water collecting outboard of stringers

Post by Ben423 »

I discovered the same problem three months ago when we launched our new-to-us 28TE. On the port side water entered the hull through a small leak at exhaust thru-hull and collected on the outboard side of the stringer. On the starboard side, it appeared to come from joint between the bait tank and deck. I'm not 100% sure about that but water only collects there when the bait tank is full.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Yeah it is getting stinky in there... any solution or do you just wait for it to evaporate?
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Haven't done it yet, but I plan to add a layer of fiberglass around the perimeter of the tank/deck joint. Have to do that on the inside of the tank because there's no access on the outside. For the exhaust thru-hull, next time I haul the boat I'll re-bed it. It's a minor leak (1-2 drops/minute) but it is annoying.
Tom Cunningham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego-Mulege

Post by Tom Cunningham »

Home depot sells a wet -vac motor that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. (bucket head/ bucket vac) I use this to vacuum dry any water amounts too small for the bilge pumps to get.........
Morgan
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Columbia,SC

Post by Morgan »

On our recently acquired ‘93 TE 28 we are now getting increased water pooling outside of starboard stringer. Maybe it’s colder weather, maybe my filling the fuel tank (lowering the stern), or maybe the problem is getting worse on its own. The previous owner had attributed the water to clogged hatch drains, but closer inspection has water coming in near the joint between the exhaust and the hull (single stb. side exhaust). Using a mirror and good light, I can’t pinpoint the leak inside on the fiberglass. On the outside, the plastic trim has pulled back a little from the hull, but sticking my hand up the exhaust, it feels like metal and not all fiberglass.
I was hoping to avoid pulling the boat for a couple more months so advice would be welcomed.
Thanks, Morgan
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Morgan wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:29 pm On our recently acquired ‘93 TE 28 we are now getting increased water pooling outside of starboard stringer. Maybe it’s colder weather, maybe my filling the fuel tank (lowering the stern), or maybe the problem is getting worse on its own. The previous owner had attributed the water to clogged hatch drains, but closer inspection has water coming in near the joint between the exhaust and the hull (single stb. side exhaust). Using a mirror and good light, I can’t pinpoint the leak inside on the fiberglass. On the outside, the plastic trim has pulled back a little from the hull, but sticking my hand up the exhaust, it feels like metal and not all fiberglass.
I was hoping to avoid pulling the boat for a couple more months so advice would be welcomed.
Thanks, Morgan
Are you able to physically see the leak if you have someone spray a hose on the outside?
Morgan
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Morgan »

Since the boat is in the water I can’t do that well. I thought I had narrowed my search down inside the boat when i left it in in a slip and had restrained myself from putting any sealant inside the hull thinking I’d never get it all out to fiberglass over later. I did run a bead of Boat Life around the outside of the outboard “trim ring”. Going back to the boat a couple days ago it seems to have slowed dramatically. Could it simply be something up with that part around the exhaust outlet? I read about another Albin (with port side exhaust) that was leaking at the screw holes for a similar ring. Is this likely?
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

I had the exact leak (port side exhaust) and had to pull the boat (2001, 28TE) a couple of years ago to have the exhaust flange re-caulked. No leakage since. Don.
Morgan
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by Morgan »

That’s great news - as opposed to some kind of fracture between the exhaust pipe and the exhaust outlet. The Boat Life that I used around the outside of the flange cut down on the leak already. I have a modification to the trailer that has to be done first but will get it fixed soon. Many thanks for the help.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”