• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Potential new Albin owner

Svenly
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: san diego

Potential new Albin owner

Post by Svenly »

I'm looking to buy a 1998 Albin 28 TE . It's got total 600 hrs on a Peninsular 400 "Beast" 300 HP.
Like most, I'm concerned about it, so I gave Peninsular a call and spoke with Matt who looked up the serial #. He said it was repowered in 2001 with the new generation diesel motor.
It's got the original Peninsular Beast logo on it but he assured me it is not the original 1998 motor.

The vessel is well maintained an in good working condition from bow to stern.... my only concern is the motor.

My questions to the members with any experiences in this realm is:

Is this newer 2001 generation Peninsular a dependable motor that I can trust? And what about finding parts?
OR
Do I stay clear of this vessel and not chance having mechanical issues with my $55K investment.

ALSO
Newer version of the Albin 28 with a proven brand motor ...like a
Yanmar or Cummins ?

THANKS GENTLEMEN!

Svenly (Henrik Petersen)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Potential new Albin owner

Post by jcollins »

Hello and welcome aboard. You are replying to a post from 2009. I'm going to create a new post for you.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I have the Yanmar but the fact you were able to get ahold of someone at Peninsular and they had information would make me feel good about a purchase. I called Yanmar and found our mine had the valve guide issue fixed was also assuring. Every manufacturer has their strength and weaknesses.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Svenly
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Svenly »

Thanks for the assist John..... much appreciated!

Svenly (Henrik)
Svenly
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Svenly »

Thanks for the response Mike.
I agree about the manufacturer "strength/weakness" , it's just a fact of life!

To proceed with the Albin I'll need an oil analysis along with the motor survey, followed by a haul out inspection. I called Peninsular again to see if he could recommend a mechanic familiar with peninsular on the west coast between Newport harbor and San Diego and only came up with one guy inland in simi valley....hmmm, kinda gives me cold feet.

Presently, I have a 21' Mako center console in DP in the East Basin... I'm an OC guy. I called DP marina looking for a 30' slip for the Albin 28 .....ummm, 2 year waiting list. I can get a slip in SD for the time being but it's a long drive to go tinker.

The Mako has been a fun "zip around" fish & dive boat for the past 12 yrs but now with several grandkids I want to step up!
The Albin looks like a great option... solid and seaworthy.... I just need to verify motor reliability.
My son and I each have 7.3 International diesel motors in out Ford trucks and we do most of our own work... we're not so familiar with the marine versions.

Svenly (Henrik)
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

If you get a smaller slip you just need to apply to move up and you're in. We went in at West Basin and got on every list both marinas had. Then one came up in East and we are very happy with it. The marine engines are mostly the same with specific coolers and pumps bolted on. I will check with my guy at Silver Sea's and get a recommendation. He knows everyone.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

There is a significant difference between the original GM 6.5 diesels and the more recent ones (called Optimizers in truck applications). The original block castings when GM was making the engines were problematic leading to a number of issues, often cracked blocks. When AM General took over production of the Humvee, International began casting the 6.5 blocks to better standards. Those blocks are identifiable by Internationals 'diamond' or 'double triangle' in the valley of the block. These blocks are far more reliable than the original blocks.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

My broker friend researched shops for the motor and three came up in the San Diego area. He said they were all reliable shops and the engine is still produced today. He said the same thing kerrye said.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by socalmike »

check your private messages
Davepsl
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Port Saint Lucie fl

Post by Davepsl »

I read your post and tried to contact Peninsula but the phone number is disconnected and the website is not there.....is this company out of business?
Thanks.
I have been calling 616-530-1298
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

The Peninsula people have been really helpful to this group. It is surprising they are not now responding. Wonder if may be a Holiday and seasonal closing thing. We certainly hope they are not out of are going out of business.
A disconnect number is a bit scary. I don't know who used the GM motors besides Albin but the closing of the company and the strong use of the Yammer's in later builds may be catching up to the company.
Howard
Davepsl
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Port Saint Lucie fl

Post by Davepsl »

I spoke with American custom yachts in stuart Florida and they said peninsular went out of business. I am in need of a raw water pump bracket and now need to find someone to build a custom bracket. Not a good situation for albin owners with peninsular engines. You would think they would try to sell all spare parts. Basically have a fire sale. Or maybe someone will come along and pick up the business.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”