• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Off Season 28TE Upgrades

Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Off Season 28TE Upgrades

Post by Jaredh »

After our first full season fishing ISLA there are some upgrades I am considering for the off season. We got 5 keeper bluefin and 1 short this season fishing commercially in Maine and while the boat has been awesome to fish as always there are some areas that could use refinement. I will update this thread throughout the research and completion of these projects, and appreciate any input of BTDT that can be provided.

1. Transom helm station

After getting a mean kink in my neck looking aft for over 6 hours during one fight this year, and realizing that running from the helm to dart the fish with only 2 on board was less than ideal, I would like to add a jog lever and throttle on the transom. This would also allow me to fish solo when crew schedules don't work. I am thinking that a side mounted throttle in the transom door pass through, and a jog lever on the top to port of the opening (opposite the fish box) may work. Access through the under gunnel rod holder insert should be painful but doable.

2. Livewell

We had trouble keeping herring alive in the well throughout the day after catching them at night. I am thinking of adding a fill at the bottom of the well, and maybe an additional pump. A stand pipe should be helpful as well. Any additional thoughts on optimization would be helpful.

3. Battery Charger

While the portable generator has been helping with running everything at night when on the hook, I am drawing more than the battery charger is putting out. I am considering a larger charger, and an ACR so I can leave both batteries on without worrying about them killing one another. Having to run below to switch both batteries on when one of them is mostly discharged during the hookup fire drill is less than ideal.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Overall its been a great first season of Albin ownership with 145 hours on the engine, and more than that sitting on the hook fishing! Ive attached a couple photos from our last trip earlier this week (79" on deck monday and 84" on deck tues to close out the season!).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Off Season 28TE Upgrades

Post by RobS »

IMO, the livewell issue is due to the shape of the tank (corners) more than the amount of flow.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

RobS wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 pm IMO, the livewell issue is due to the shape of the tank (corners) more than the amount of flow.
Maybe some big fillets, fairing, and blue paint will help the livewell situation then.

I had also been considering doing the same to the center storage space and making that a livewell.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I messed with my bait tank a bunch and finally put a Kodiak 32 on the transom. I can unplug my built in one and keep squid in it if I get any and the other bait does great. Our file server is down after it's up I will post the link to the project I did.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Silverton 2007 36C