• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New bow thruster

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

New bow thruster

Post by Denis »

I have done some homework as to why my bow thruster has no effect when there is any current or wind pushing my boat. My boat has a 23 kgf Vetus bow thruster installed. They no longer make or supply parts for that unit. After a call to Vetus, they told me that a boat my size and make would need a 35 or even better a 55kgf thruster installed. The 23 kgf unit was to be installed in a 21' boat. I have no idea why Albin would put one in a 28' boat, never the less I am stuck with it. I called two installers that could do the work of installing a larger unit. The prices were $6,800 and $7,500 for the job. :shock: Im not sure if it is worth it or not for that kind of money. In the mean time I'll keep practising.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'd just learn to make do with the wimpy thruster. I've never been on a boat where the thruster had much effect against wind or current. The thruster is more a tool to nudge the bow away from the dock when you're leaving. Everything the thruster does can be accomplished with lines and the engine, it just takes a little more work.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

In most cases I can make due, but last Monday the wind was 20 to 25 and I needed to turn into it to get into my slip. I could not make it turn with the engine or bow thruster. The wind moved me sideways across the pile in front of my slip and I rotated on it to back in. No harm done and I didn't look too stupid. A while later a little larger Mainship had to perform the same thing to get in his slip. I went down to help him but I was not needed. He ran perpendicular to his slip, pushed the nose over with his thruster and backed straight in. Im pretty sure that is how a bow thruster is supposed to work. I know I keep whining about this subject and I will just have to get used to the limitations of me and my boat. It's not worth $7,000 to fix something like that.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I've also experienced the "thrill" of backing into a slip, trying to use the thruster to counter a cross current (on the Hudson River in Newburgh NY - that river moves faster than I thought!) and having it go poorly.

I've noticed that the newer TE28s have a larger thruster tunnel and thruster but I really can't complain about Albin in this case - how many 90's vintage boats the size of the 28 do you see with a thruster as original equipment? Not many. And we should be happy that Albin learned this lesson and started outfitting their boats with larger thrusters. Undoubtedly as part of their exceptional Customer Feedback Program!! (Yes, that's a joke! Meant kindheartedly!)

Even with it's lack of raw power I love having the thruster in the boat. And I'd be willing to bet I could handle replacing it - figure I could do everything myself except for the glassing in of the new tunnel.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”