• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 TE?

alaskangler
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: whittier

31 TE?

Post by alaskangler »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and had some questions in regard to the albin 31 te. I live in anchorage, Alaska and as far as I can recall I have never seen a 31 TE up here. I am hoping to purchase a boat in the near future and upon my searches for the what appears to be a great boat for my family I stumbled across the Albin. My questions are, has anyone used this boat in cold weather(below 40f), cruised off shore of excess of 60 miles, what would be the better option single or dual motors, sound levels inside of cabin when motor/motors are running at cruising speed. My other options for boat are the 30' osprey and or the 30' seasport voyager and the 32' seaport. Would anyone happen to know how the albin compares to the other boats mentioned? Is this boat trailer able(I have a diesel truck and am not worried about the weight)? There are 3 different ports I like to fish out of during different times of the year so it would be nice to move the boat from one location to the other. Thanks in advance and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Re: 31 TE?

Post by Jaredh »

We came very close to buying a 31TE (submitted a P&S etc.) before landing on our 28TE. Here are my observations from my 28TE ownership, but I imagine many of them will be applicable to the 31 as well.

We have run in cold weather down to 30 degrees in our boat. It has canvas rather than the alaska bulkhead like the 31. Even in our boat cold weather running is comfortable with the canvas back zipped up.

We did 5 overnights this year at about 55 miles offshore. With the right weather I wouldn't hesitate to go further. One trip was 4' seas at 7s and another 5' at 6s. 4' at 7s was comfortable, 5' at 6s was barely fishable on the 28.

I would go for a big single and be diligent about maintenance. You expenses will be lower all around, and I would rather have one perfectly maintained engine than 2 that each need some love. There is a reason most commercial boats run a single, it is cheaper to run and cheaper to maintain correctly.

It would be a big boat to trailer but doable with the right rig. I believe alaska has an overheight restriction of 15' rather than the 13'6" we deal with in Maine. You would need permits and I would check in with your insurance company about coverage. I would want a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer and a dually or maybe a 450 type truck.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
alaskangler
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by alaskangler »

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the cockpit area of the boat and it appears to be to small for my family or if I have multiple people on a trip. I checked and I would definitely need oversized permits to trailer the boat. The trailer is more for launching and retrieving. There’s a port I like to fish out of where slip space is very limited and there’s a very long wait to even get one so a trailer is a must. How would you rate engine noise level while running at cruising speed?
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

Again, this is on the 28te rather thank the 31te... but engine noise is definitely a factor. I can communicate with other people who are present in the pilot house when underway but have to slow from cruise speed to talk on the radio or phone.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

My 31 TE is plenty quiet enough for me. The engine compartment is well insulated. I have carpeting in the saloon and a nice rubber pad underneath it. I have a twin Yanmars and it sure makes it easy to back into my slip in Sausalito. Great fishing platform by the way.
Good Luck.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
alaskangler
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by alaskangler »

Thanks for the reply mike.

Does anyone have the interior dimensions for the cabin and berth area along with size of fish boxes. I can not for the life of me find this information anywhere. Also for the storage compartments.

Thanks,
alaskangler
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by alaskangler »

??? Anyone by chance
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

It too cold and windy to go out and measure. Here is a picture of the rug that is inside the cabin.

The rug is 7' 8'' long. The wide in is at the back doors at 3' 5". The port side is 5' 6" long from the back doors. The couch is from the rear doors to the step in for the stairs. (Approximate 2' deep, with 45 degree slats on each end) The starboard side has the cabinets and the sink. (3' 11.5" x 11' 1")

So the cabin is about 8 foot wide, by 7' 8".
ALBIN 31 2008 rug measurements.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
alaskangler
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by alaskangler »

Thanks for the reply kowal_53. I like the deminsions that you posted. I’m hoping to go and look at one in the spring time. I like everything about the boat except for the speed, but it fits my family for our needs.
dasabalon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Islip

Post by dasabalon »

Kowal_53
what does your Albin Cruise at with the 500 hp Cummins?

Thanks
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
islip NY
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

dasabalon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 am Kowal_53
what does your Albin Cruise at with the 500 hp Cummins?

Thanks
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
islip NY
I have the same setup.
At about a half a tank plus of fuel, I cruise at 2180 RPM, 16 gph, 15.5 +/- kts, engine temp 172 degrees.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
dasabalon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Islip

Post by dasabalon »

Thanks Kevin

Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
rdctruffles
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Niantic, CT

Post by rdctruffles »

Hi Eddy, This is RuthAnne again. I now have logged on and got the pics you posted. When are you going to start showing the boat? Also, would you be interested in our 2012 Wellcraft 252 Coastal fishing boat?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”