Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

User avatar
Sisu22
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Norseman, what kind of non-skid paint are you using on top of the pilothouse?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

dabeachman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:49 am
Home Port: Galena, MD

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 am

Norseman wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm
Installed new Bimini top today.
The aft flap rolls up for running, or stays down for shade at anchor.
Removing the poles and the top becomes a sun shade for storage between voyages, picture of that config in a day or two.
Also 2 fat bean bag chairs in the cockpit. Comfy..
What corner poles did you use and where did you get them?
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

User avatar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale
Location: Fort Lauderdale, zip 33315
Contact:

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Sisu22 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm
Norseman, what kind of non-skid paint are you using on top of the pilothouse?
As far as I know, the non-skid on the hardtop is factory: I asked the previous owner and he never did anything up there.
It is getting chalky and oxidized, but still doing ok, although I could roll on a coat of something from West Marine in the future. Did a patch with some non-skid deck paint from Petit (I think) and the color match was ok out of the box. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,000 hrs. 19X18 four-blade wheel.

User avatar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale
Location: Fort Lauderdale, zip 33315
Contact:

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:27 pm

dabeachman wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 am
Norseman wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm
Installed new Bimini top today.
The aft flap rolls up for running, or stays down for shade at anchor.
Removing the poles and the top becomes a sun shade for storage between voyages, picture of that config in a day or two.
Also 2 fat bean bag chairs in the cockpit. Comfy..
What corner poles did you use and where did you get them?
The corner posts are custom made. The machine shop did not have that diameter poles in anodized aluminum, just raw, hence I had them powder coated to look anodized and last long. 8)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,000 hrs. 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Jmk2000
Mate
Mate
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 am
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Certainly appears that way

Jmk2000
Mate
Mate
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:50 am
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Norseman wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 pm
gerber30 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm
What material did you use for the deck, it looks great...
Used Seadek http://www.seadek.com/
They have all kinds of different colors and patterns. I chose faux teak with white “seams”.
They came out and used some computer scanner to measure every inch of the deck and platform, them fed the result into their cutting computer, cut it last week and installed it today. The product is really foam and soft when you walk on with bare feet. I don’t fish so there is no problem with blood and guts on the “teak” and red wine will be out-lawed on the boat.
(Seadek says it can be cleaned with 10% bleach and they give a 3 year warranty on color and fading)
Overall I am pleased with the product and will take the boat out for a test ride tomorrow to check out the new steering wheel and the new deck. 8)
I really like how that SeaDeck looks. How much did that set you back out of curiosity.

User avatar
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:14 am
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Location: Plainville, MA

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 pm

Norseman wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 am
Air intakes:
I find it fascinating that these engine/bilge Air inlets are pointing forward, as in towards the bow.
It seems a recipe for scooping saltwater into the boat, rather than keeping water out.
Are these mounted the wrong way from the factory....?
That is the way the factory intended them to be installed. Kind of a ram to force air in and around the engine. I thought it was a source of water in the bilge but when I contacted the factory (back in '03) they told me not to turn them around as the engine compartment will not get the proper flow of air.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit

User avatar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale
Location: Fort Lauderdale, zip 33315
Contact:

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 pm

JackK wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 pm
Norseman wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 am
Air intakes:
I find it fascinating that these engine/bilge Air inlets are pointing forward, as in towards the bow.
It seems a recipe for scooping saltwater into the boat, rather than keeping water out.
Are these mounted the wrong way from the factory....?
That is the way the factory intended them to be installed. Kind of a ram to force air in and around the engine. I thought it was a source of water in the bilge but when I contacted the factory (back in '03) they told me not to turn them around as the engine compartment will not get the proper flow of air.
I took a chance and turned them around, got tired of looking at rust streaks in the bilge from salt water spray,
Only turned the 2 lower ones, the upper Starboard stays facing forward.
Not sure how much ram-effect those little vents are good for at 17 knots, but since I usually run slow the engine does not need a lot of air.
Found both vents to be compromised with loose welds and rust damage was evident with rusty streaks bleeding down the sides.
Used “A-Must-For-Rust” acid to clean them good and used metal polish and WD-40 to protect the metal, although it probably won’t last long.

Looks like replacements are available from Atwood with the model number 1488, $39.95 at Amazon and other online places.

9DB14168-BB0D-4D88-80B4-C230217C86C4.jpeg
50143106-0F33-411E-8F76-FD5197AE0D9B.jpeg
06FE5242-8E56-4C6B-B266-F7815565C8EC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,000 hrs. 19X18 four-blade wheel.

User avatar
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:41 am
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm

I replaced mine on my 06 with like brand- sea dog from defender.
Brad
Capt Brad

Paddy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Decided to inspect under the helm seat after checking this thread this morning. Took the drawer out and stuck my head in. The vent hose was attached but 95% off at the intake (hanging on by the wire), so saltwater has been coming in for some time. The waste pump had corrosion, macerator was getting there and auto pilot minimal. Took the vent off, fixed the vent hose, cleaned up any rust and sprayed the heck out of everything with some CRC heavy duty marine protectant.

Thanks to Norseman for putting the idea in my head!
Rob

2004 28TE

User avatar
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am
Home Port: Fort Lauderdale
Location: Fort Lauderdale, zip 33315
Contact:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 pm

. Took the vent off, fixed the vent hose, cleaned up any rust and sprayed the heck out of everything with some CRC heavy duty marine protectant.
Wow, hope it works good for you. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,000 hrs. 19X18 four-blade wheel.

Paddy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:58 am

Temp fix for now, will give it more attention during winter layup. Just surprised to follow the vent hose all the way up only to find it hanging off where it meets the forward facing starboard vent.
Rob

2004 28TE

User avatar
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 3785
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:20 am
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY
Contact:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 am

Paddy, doesn't that mean that all you have done now is to redirect all of that salt air/mist directly into the engine area?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Paddy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 pm
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:14 pm

I have multiple vent hoses (look like dryer hoses) that connect to my grills. One was cut open right behind the forward facing starboard vent, so saltwater spray was coming in. With the hose reconnected, any spray / mist is directed down a 4' hose to the bilge. What would be the proper alternative as this setup appears to be from the factory?
Rob

2004 28TE

User avatar
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:34 pm
Home Port: Gloucester, MA
Location: Essex, MA

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Paddy wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:14 pm
I have multiple vent hoses (look like dryer hoses) that connect to my grills. One was cut open right behind the forward facing starboard vent, so saltwater spray was coming in. With the hose reconnected, any spray / mist is directed down a 4' hose to the bilge. What would be the proper alternative as this setup appears to be from the factory?
Turn the vents from facing forward to aft in order to limit salt spray intake which not only goes to your bilge, but in turn is drawn into your engine air intake filter and into your engine.
kevinS
"drinking rum before 10AM makes you a Pirate, not an Alcoholic"

~ 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Former boat ~
~ 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April / '04 ~ May / '13

Post Reply

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests