• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

Post by Pitou »

See below
Last edited by Pitou on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Pitou wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm
Wish You Were Here wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:07 pm Norseman, thank you for the reply. I actually found the manufacturer...however, it will take 5-6 weeks to manufacture. Do you have any idea where I can find wrecked or hurricane damaged Albins??
Glad that I could help you out with Buck Algonquin ..

As I posted on Wish You Were Here's other thread on this subject:

The bronze skeg rudders were made by Buck Algonquin. Here is a link to their website where you will be able to download a "Marine Hardware" catalogue and source a new rudder.
https://www.hydrasearchrecreational.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Wish You Were Here wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:07 pm Norseman, thank you for the reply. I actually found the manufacturer...however, it will take 5-6 weeks to manufacture. Do you have any idea where I can find wrecked or hurricane damaged Albins??
No, idea where there may be damaged or wrecked boats, but after every hurricane there is an assortment of boats written of by the insurance companies, some are parted out and some are sold cheap to folks who wants to rebuild them. Mostly sailboats in the islands, but with 1000 Albin 28TEs built over the years, I would be surprised if you could not find bits and pieces somewhere, Google is the first thing I would try, then eBay.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Detail job done, the old tub got some luster back.
30 man-hours over 2 days.
B21318D3-6F54-4C42-BF4E-CEB157F42E90.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Search Light Blues;
I hardly ever use the GoLight Stryker HID on the cabin top as we don’t sail much at night anymore if ever.
Leaving Key Biscayne late night a few weeks ago I found the search light to be missing in action.
Ok, whatever, change the bulb right?
Back at home base I noticed there was no left/right or up and down movement of the search light, in addition to no lumens.
Concluded the joy stick was bad, ordered a new one @ $50 and installed. Up/down and left/right motors came back to life, but still no light, all dark. (Power to the bulb as well as to the motors goes via the joy-stick controller)
Aha, ordered a bulb. Got bulb, No light, still dark.
Now this is getting annoying.
Dug in deeper with trouble shooting, found the positive (blue) wire in the harness, after the joystick connection and before the lamp connection to be bad. The break is of course inside the house, framework, below deck, etc.
Possible chafe or corrosion. Light was installed 2011 by previous owner but good installation with heat shrink and protective wire loom tubing.
Not so sure about the GoLight product, corrosion inside the housing, tiny little bitty screws, brittle plastic and hours to take apart to change a stupid lightbulb.. :roll:
3F526BFE-C87C-41CA-9879-BACBDF2E09DA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

E8B76D7A-7E31-402C-95B2-1811120F02AC.jpeg
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

they are pointed forward to force air into the bilge. It is unusual for water to get near the vents.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

More maintenance:
Replaced caulking in front of windows: Spent about 2.5 hours removing
old caulk, then let dry in the sun, cleaned with acetone, let dry, then tape and application of white UV rated marine silicone.
74865AD4-1ED8-4265-8CD0-3F622598D19F.jpeg
50306E74-B1CC-49EA-AB10-D8B0A43B44E5.jpeg
CDFD3D23-05F0-4397-90C0-BF21179F53F2.jpeg
Capt JT
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Dunedin

Post by Capt JT »

Norseman, any idea of the windows can be removed from the exterior? Some of the screws on the interior trim around with windows are below / behind the cabin enclosure so I'm hopeful it's all done from the exterior.

I thought I remembered you either painting or doing some work on yours before. I am starting to see some point / corrosion issues on a couple small areas of my window frames and would like to address it sooner than later. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
James M.
1999 Albin 28TE Yanmar 6LP-STZE
"Orange Blossom"
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Capt JT wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:50 pm Norseman, any idea of the windows can be removed from the exterior? Some of the screws on the interior trim around with windows are below / behind the cabin enclosure so I'm hopeful it's all done from the exterior.

I thought I remembered you either painting or doing some work on yours before. I am starting to see some point / corrosion issues on a couple small areas of my window frames and would like to address it sooner than later. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Yes, I worked on the window frames, external and internal:
Galvanic corrosion had done a number on the paint and the metal.
Tried to remove the external frames but gave up, they were attached with 5200 or worse.. :shock:

I scraped, sanded, primed and painted with the frames in place.
Results were ok, more workboat than yacht finish but so what, all good.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Tranny cooler hoses?
Did a search on this forum, not cigar sourcing parts for the ZF tranny cooler.
Did a google and came up with this:
7BAEFD7A-A6C0-4B1F-8620-3276B68C8079.jpeg
Contacted them up and asked if just the hoses was available?

“I can only source the kits from ZF, they will no sell the hoses by themselves, already tried ---- sorry...

Corey Schmidt
VP, Operations
Seaboard Marine, Inc.
2947 W. 5th St.
Oxnard, CA 93030 USA
corey@sbmar.com

Back to square 1: Does anybody have a source for these hoses, or are they generic and can be purchased at any tractor supply or marine place? :shock:
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Is it the end hose for sea water or the oil hoses? If it’s the later just take them off and take them to any hydraulic hose shop - you may even be lucky enough to get the end fittings in stainless
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Norseman,
Try Amazon Hose in Miami. Best to take them the old hoses if you can and they make replacements typically while you wait.
https://idco.coop/amazonhose/locations/
Not the Amazon most think, local distributor for Eaton and Continental hoses and fittings. They’ll have the adapters and likely several options on hose. I replaced my tranny hoses on the 28 with Eaton FC332 1/2” push on hose. Brass fittings. Easy to work with with great compatibility 300 degree temp rating and 250 psi. Nothing to crimp, nothing to rust. Real easy. You can buy the raw hose and fittings. Put it together onsite.
Good luck,

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Is it the end hose for sea water or the oil hoses?
Oil hoses: Rusty fittings after an accidental saltwater spray from the wet exhaust.
Yes, I went to a hydraulic shop around here, but a 2 hour wait to even get to the counter.
Was hoping these hoses had a ZF part number.
Try Amazon Hose in Miami. Best to take them the old hoses if you can and they make replacements typically while you wait.
Yeah, will probably have to do that, but hate to immobilize the boat before I have the new parts in hand.
Running a charter business, sometimes on short notice.
www.odincharters.com

Thx Gentlemen. 8)
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Norseman, I got mine replaced a few months ago at a local industrial hose shop as well. I brought in the old ones so they could make to fit.

I'm not sure it is essential, but I made sure that it was the blue hose that has the USCG rating. For what its worth, the old hoses were made by Aeroquip (there were ID tags). I think the new ones were goodyear 500 PSI working strength. Maybe Parker. Can't remember.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”