• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

Post by Sisu22 »

Norseman, what kind of non-skid paint are you using on top of the pilothouse?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

Norseman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm Installed new Bimini top today.
The aft flap rolls up for running, or stays down for shade at anchor.
Removing the poles and the top becomes a sun shade for storage between voyages, picture of that config in a day or two.
Also 2 fat bean bag chairs in the cockpit. Comfy..
What corner poles did you use and where did you get them?
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Sisu22 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:58 pm Norseman, what kind of non-skid paint are you using on top of the pilothouse?
As far as I know, the non-skid on the hardtop is factory: I asked the previous owner and he never did anything up there.
It is getting chalky and oxidized, but still doing ok, although I could roll on a coat of something from West Marine in the future. Did a patch with some non-skid deck paint from Petit (I think) and the color match was ok out of the box. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

dabeachman wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 am
Norseman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 pm Installed new Bimini top today.
The aft flap rolls up for running, or stays down for shade at anchor.
Removing the poles and the top becomes a sun shade for storage between voyages, picture of that config in a day or two.
Also 2 fat bean bag chairs in the cockpit. Comfy..
What corner poles did you use and where did you get them?
The corner posts are custom made. The machine shop did not have that diameter poles in anodized aluminum, just raw, hence I had them powder coated to look anodized and last long. 8)
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

Certainly appears that way
Jmk2000
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Post by Jmk2000 »

Norseman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 pm
gerber30 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm What material did you use for the deck, it looks great...
Used Seadek http://www.seadek.com/
They have all kinds of different colors and patterns. I chose faux teak with white “seams”.
They came out and used some computer scanner to measure every inch of the deck and platform, them fed the result into their cutting computer, cut it last week and installed it today. The product is really foam and soft when you walk on with bare feet. I don’t fish so there is no problem with blood and guts on the “teak” and red wine will be out-lawed on the boat.
(Seadek says it can be cleaned with 10% bleach and they give a 3 year warranty on color and fading)
Overall I am pleased with the product and will take the boat out for a test ride tomorrow to check out the new steering wheel and the new deck. 8)
I really like how that SeaDeck looks. How much did that set you back out of curiosity.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Norseman wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 am Air intakes:
I find it fascinating that these engine/bilge Air inlets are pointing forward, as in towards the bow.
It seems a recipe for scooping saltwater into the boat, rather than keeping water out.
Are these mounted the wrong way from the factory....?
That is the way the factory intended them to be installed. Kind of a ram to force air in and around the engine. I thought it was a source of water in the bilge but when I contacted the factory (back in '03) they told me not to turn them around as the engine compartment will not get the proper flow of air.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

JackK wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:36 pm
Norseman wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 am Air intakes:
I find it fascinating that these engine/bilge Air inlets are pointing forward, as in towards the bow.
It seems a recipe for scooping saltwater into the boat, rather than keeping water out.
Are these mounted the wrong way from the factory....?
That is the way the factory intended them to be installed. Kind of a ram to force air in and around the engine. I thought it was a source of water in the bilge but when I contacted the factory (back in '03) they told me not to turn them around as the engine compartment will not get the proper flow of air.
I took a chance and turned them around, got tired of looking at rust streaks in the bilge from salt water spray,
Only turned the 2 lower ones, the upper Starboard stays facing forward.
Not sure how much ram-effect those little vents are good for at 17 knots, but since I usually run slow the engine does not need a lot of air.
Found both vents to be compromised with loose welds and rust damage was evident with rusty streaks bleeding down the sides.
Used “A-Must-For-Rust” acid to clean them good and used metal polish and WD-40 to protect the metal, although it probably won’t last long.

Looks like replacements are available from Atwood with the model number 1488, $39.95 at Amazon and other online places.

9DB14168-BB0D-4D88-80B4-C230217C86C4.jpeg
50143106-0F33-411E-8F76-FD5197AE0D9B.jpeg
06FE5242-8E56-4C6B-B266-F7815565C8EC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

I replaced mine on my 06 with like brand- sea dog from defender.
Brad
Capt Brad
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Decided to inspect under the helm seat after checking this thread this morning. Took the drawer out and stuck my head in. The vent hose was attached but 95% off at the intake (hanging on by the wire), so saltwater has been coming in for some time. The waste pump had corrosion, macerator was getting there and auto pilot minimal. Took the vent off, fixed the vent hose, cleaned up any rust and sprayed the heck out of everything with some CRC heavy duty marine protectant.

Thanks to Norseman for putting the idea in my head!
2004 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. Took the vent off, fixed the vent hose, cleaned up any rust and sprayed the heck out of everything with some CRC heavy duty marine protectant.
Wow, hope it works good for you. :shock:
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

Temp fix for now, will give it more attention during winter layup. Just surprised to follow the vent hose all the way up only to find it hanging off where it meets the forward facing starboard vent.
2004 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Paddy, doesn't that mean that all you have done now is to redirect all of that salt air/mist directly into the engine area?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

I have multiple vent hoses (look like dryer hoses) that connect to my grills. One was cut open right behind the forward facing starboard vent, so saltwater spray was coming in. With the hose reconnected, any spray / mist is directed down a 4' hose to the bilge. What would be the proper alternative as this setup appears to be from the factory?
2004 28TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Paddy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:14 pm I have multiple vent hoses (look like dryer hoses) that connect to my grills. One was cut open right behind the forward facing starboard vent, so saltwater spray was coming in. With the hose reconnected, any spray / mist is directed down a 4' hose to the bilge. What would be the proper alternative as this setup appears to be from the factory?
Turn the vents from facing forward to aft in order to limit salt spray intake which not only goes to your bilge, but in turn is drawn into your engine air intake filter and into your engine.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”