• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: Modifications, repairs and improvements, 28TE

Post by Sisu22 »

I want to go with LED lights but I just don't know which ones are warm. Most of them are harsh white and I like the yellowish-orange that halogen and incandescent bulbs burn (2700K)
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Sisu22 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 pm I want to go with LED lights but I just don't know which ones are warm. Most of them are harsh white and I like the yellowish-orange that halogen and incandescent bulbs burn (2700K)
We had the choice of cool, natural or warm.
Wifey picked natural, good choice,.
Will try to shoot a picture tomorrow.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Sisu22 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 pm I want to go with LED lights but I just don't know which ones are warm. Most of them are harsh white and I like the yellowish-orange that halogen and incandescent bulbs burn (2700K)
I know what you mean about a lot of LED's being harsh BRIGHT white. I went with warm white and they aren't harsh to my eyes. Marine Beam does have color temperature listed in their descriptions for "most" bulbs. Warm white seems to be 2700K - 2900K and cool white upward to 6000k. The owner is super helpful too and will take your phone call to discuss. I've had good luck with this company as have others on this forum. Do a search on Marine Beam on AOG.

Here is a link to their side mount Bi-Pin bulbs:
http://store.marinebeam.com/side-mount- ... d-bulbs-1/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

The window frame project is coming along, but slow.
I had galvanic corrosion on all 5 external frames due to SS canvas cover snap buttons and screws reacting with the aluminum frames.
The corrosion flaked the paint off.
Tried to take the frames off for sandblasting and powder coating but could not budge any of the frames, probably installed with 5200.
Decided to scrape, sand and paint in place. Also removed all SS screws and replaced with aluminum fasteners but slow going, a # 10 alu screw is slightly larger than the SS #10. With the alu screws being soft I already torqued off 2 screw heads. Had to drill out the old holes then grind the screws down:(
Instead of 30 seconds or install each screw, it now takes 5 minutes.
The small hole on the bottom picture is from the old snap button screws. Will find plastic buttons and install with aluminum screws, that should stop all galvanic action before any further damage is done.
Hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Very nice work. Are you painting the fiberglass in between the windows at the same time, or is that the newly-cleaned gel coat that you have?

Also, does anyone know where to get the rubber seals that are shown in the picture above / are they replaceable without removing the windows?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Sisu22 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:59 pm Very nice work. Are you painting the fiberglass in between the windows at the same time, or is that the newly-cleaned gel coat that you have?

Also, does anyone know where to get the rubber seals that are shown in the picture above / are they replaceable without removing the windows?
No, did not paint the gelcoat, newly compounded and waxed.
I had to repair the black gasket today, used masking tape and black goo:
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Solved the problem with metal screws, metal snaps and galvanic corrosion: Plastic glue-on snaps:
They seem to stick like the devil, easy fix.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

ImageNext project is a fresh water tank gauge.
Some of you must have done this in the past...?
Sender unit and float aft and inboard I guess?
Power from nearby batteries but where did you run the wires to the gauge? (I am thinking gauge in the cabin next to 12/110 Volt aft facing panels.)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Nice job clipping through your upgrades. Creature comforts are important and often necessary for comfortable boating.

I added a Fireboy Xintex Pneumatic Sender in my 28's water tank and coupled it with their LLM style gauge. It was accurate and worked great without issue. I set the sender mid tank to the lowest point and powered it all through the DC main switch and bus bar on the panel. A pretty easy DIY.

Here are a couple of pictures of the gauge which was a 2 sender unit. I had another similar sendedr to the holding tank which did not work well at all. If I had kept the boat I would have wired an exterior foil type Scad Solo sender to the LLM gauge. Those work!
3.jpg
LLM &amp; Inverter Gauges.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nice job, thx.
How did you get inside that lower panel? From the bottom?
Last edited by Norseman on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

In the meantime I added a Volt meter for the house bank with a momentary push button.
Left room for another gauge and button for the start Battery but not sure I need that.
The house bank needs to be monitored closely as I plan to stay for days at anchor and have no generator onboard. Solar panels are also somewhere on the big list of things to do..
Last edited by Norseman on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Norseman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:33 pm Nice job, thx.
How did you get inside that lower panel? From the bottom?
There was access from above with the AC/DC panel removed.

Digital volt meters are a must. Here are some pictures from part of my DC refit and of my new Digital Volt Meters with custom panel from install this past spring. All 3 DVM's are wired direct to each of my banks.
Panel Prep.jpg
DVM, Charger Monitor.jpg
Seaboard DVM . ProMariner Monitor.jpg
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

“There was access from above with the AC/DC panel removed.”

I am trying to run a cable from the above panel where my DVM is down to the Battery banks in the bilge.
So far not doin too good. Hoping to crack that nut today without having to pull teak plugs to remove bottom of bulkhead cabinet.
Will try a snake and have a remote camera ready if needed.
Does the wire bundle go straight down along the side of and behind the companion way opening, or does it go outboard and along the hull on the Port side?
Too much upholstery, tried to remove some to gain access but at the same time, trying not too dismantle the boat just to run a wire:(
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

The wiring bundle splits. Some down and along the outboard port side at quarter berth ceiling height and back to stern for AC shore power plug-in, etc. The way to figure all of this out for the easiest path is to remove the buttons covering the fastener screws for the quarter berth ceiling panel and a few buttons and screws on the cabin ceiling / same in the head. The buttons that I'm refering to are the ones that are seen in your picture of your DVM and in the photo of my Panel. Once you have access to these areas your access should become evident. I've been there, done that.

Have fun! ...
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Pitou wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 pm The wiring bundle splits. Some down and along the outboard port side at quarter berth ceiling height and back to stern for AC shore power plug-in, etc. The way to figure all of this out for the easiest path is to remove the buttons covering the fastener screws for the quarter berth ceiling panel and a few buttons and screws on the cabin ceiling / same in the head. The buttons that I'm refering to are the ones that are seen in your picture of your DVM and in the photo of my Panel. Once you have access to these areas your access should become evident. I've been there, done that.

Have fun! ...
Aye Mate.
Found it, and had fun..
Had to bite the bullet and pull panels.
Ran wires and got another Voltage gauge hooked up.
While down rhere I ran wires for the fresh water tank gauge and pulled the 2 wash down faucets:Corroded and nasty. Getting new ones, prices ranging from $43 to $99 each.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”