• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE 28 Issues with the two larger Cummins engines.

Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: TE 28 Issues with the two larger Cummins engines.

Post by Norseman »

Fighterpilot:
I did similar searches with in-depth reading and learning as well as looking at many boats, surveyed and sea trialed 2, paid $50 for access to Boatdiesel.com and studied every article and every comment they had on the 6LPE.
The conclusion I came up with, is that the Yanmar is a perfectly fine engine for pleasure boats and will last a long time, run smooth, economical and relative quiet if not over-propped or abused in other ways.
Some folks choose to ignore the maintenance recommendations published by Yanmar and if so, they may get in trouble down the road.
I am ok with changing oil and filter every 125 hrs as well as keeping an eye on the anodes, coolant and tranny fluid. To change the timing belt every 5 years or 1250 is no hardship either.
Not trying to sell you on this or that motor, just passing on info that I collected over the last few years.
My 2001 28TE is the third 28 I looked at. (Third is the charm I guess)
Mx records shows the head with valves etc was replaced years ago, just after the recall came out.
No issue since then, that I am aware of anyways.
I did an entire engine service recently, because it was neede in most cases and because I wanted to learn how.
Oil and filter, and fuel filters was not too bad.
Anodes was bad, took me hours laying on my soft belly trying to feel my way around and trying to guess what size socket to use, then lose the sockets in the bilge, then spending :20 trying to fish ‘em out.
Next time will be much easier, took notes on 11 mm this, or 10 mm that.
Coolant took hours to change, slow drain.
Tranny fluid and filter fairly easy.
Did not try to do it all in 1 day..
Could have hired a mx and paid him $300 to do it all but I am retired and stubborn, need something to keep me out of the bars also.
Came out good in the end and the engine purrs like a Swiss watch.
Have no regrets I choose the Yanmar after all my research, if fact glad I did.
Your mileage of course may vary, and good luck to you.
Last edited by Norseman on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Florida

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate your point on the Yanmar. Sounds as if you did your homework, as I am trying to do. I am finding it difficult to get the detailed information I would like on a Yanmar powered boat, since many owners don't really keep good records. Therefore I would have to take some risk in purchase. I think risk is lower with Cummins. However I am 84 and don't really do my own work anymore, hence have to hire it done. I can change oil and anodes if they are easy, but not on the Yanmar, The maintenance for the Yanmar would have to be hired out which is another problem here. Most mechs. work on Cummins so the few that are available in this area can probably be enticed to work on a Cummins, but Yanmar is another issue. Not saying I wouldn't go for a Yanmar if the records were complete and the maintenance just passed the 1250 was detailed and complete, but the chances of me finding such a boat is slim. Glad it worked out for your, Your ability to do the maintenance is a big plus.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

. However I am 84 and don't really do my own work anymore, h
You are doing good for being 84 then, looking for a new boat..
Perhaps a hot new girlfriend while you are at it?
(The Albin 28TE with Yanmars really pull chicks, I have to fight ‘em off with a stick. Wife not happy. :mrgreen: )
Last edited by Norseman on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Norseman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 pm (The Albin 28TE with Yanmars really pull the chicks, I have to fight ‘em off. Wife not happy. :mrgreen: )
Riiigghhttt.....all you need now is a small dog. :roll:
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 pm
Norseman wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 pm (The Albin 28TE with Yanmars really pull the chicks, I have to fight ‘em off. Wife not happy. :mrgreen: )
Riiigghhttt.....all you need now is a small dog. :roll:
Got a big dog..
He is my buddy.
And he has a sense of humor :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Beautiful dog!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

I already have a hot chick. Next June will have been married 60 years. Best of all she is more of a "fisherperson" than I am. She grew up fishing with her dad, I grew up on a farm in Pa. milking cows with my dad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

fighterpilot wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 pm I already have a hot chick. Next June will have been married 60 years. Best of all she is more of a "fisherperson" than I am. She grew up fishing with her dad, I grew up on a farm in Pa. milking cows with my dad.
Ah, so you don’t need no Yanmar powered Albin then? :mrgreen:
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:40 amBeautiful dog!
Thanks he said.
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

Norseman wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 pm
fighterpilot wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:17 pm I already have a hot chick. Next June will have been married 60 years. Best of all she is more of a "fisherperson" than I am. She grew up fishing with her dad, I grew up on a farm in Pa. milking cows with my dad.
No, but do need a 20 knot boat with good stability at anchor. Son-in-laws Cuttyhunk is only a 12 knot boat and it is 24 miles to the Pass into the Gulf and than we go out 25 miles, find the fish and fish at anchor. Or cruise down the bay to the bridges, oyster beds, or wrecks to fish if not going out into the Gulf.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

fighterpilot wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:39 pm
Norseman wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:21 pm
No, but do need a 20 knot boat with good stability at anchor. Son-in-laws Cuttyhunk is only a 12 knot boat and it is 24 miles to the Pass into the Gulf and than we go out 25 miles, find the fish and fish at anchor. Or cruise down the bay to the bridges, oyster beds, or wrecks to fish if not going out into the Gulf.
Aye mate: Fish, fish and Fish?
Sounds stressful.
I don’t fish at all, no idea what the fishing thingy is all about. :shock:
Boats are for putting anchors down, diving and treasure hunting, then drinking beer.
(Can’t stand the thought of killing fish, then getting blood, guts and smell on, or in my boat. The horror)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”