• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Best Fuel Economy Twin Screw

DKramer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito

Best Fuel Economy Twin Screw

Post by DKramer »

I have an 1999 Albin 35 TE with twin Cummins 6BTA5.9-M3 370 horsepower engines. I am trying to figure out my best economy/long range power setting. Does anyone know how I can figure this out?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Best Fuel Economy Twin Screw

Post by RobS »

I guess you're looking for an answer other than the obvious - displacement speed. I attach the performance specs. You need to record your speed (SOG) at the rpm increments listed. Based on the printed fuel consumption at those rpm's, calculate your MPG (SOG/GPH). There is one VERY important piece to this puzzle - is your boat propped so those engines can easily make 3,100 - 3,150rpm WOT fully loaded as you use the boat? If so, you can bank on those printed fuel burn specs. If not, all bets are off...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DKramer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito

Post by DKramer »

Thanks for that, very helpful!

About displacement speed, I figure that is probably a good rule of thumb but what exactly is the definition?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DKramer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:38 pm Thanks for that, very helpful!

About displacement speed, I figure that is probably a good rule of thumb but what exactly is the definition?
You could research and read, read and read some more on that...........But for your hull type lets simplify it as much as possible and say that it is the speed before your boat wants to start thinking about climbing up onto plane.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

MPG=(SOG/GPH). Don't you love simple algebra? What a concise way to put it!
Thanks, Rob.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”