• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A few questions thinking of buying a Albin 28.

Sneland
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: North Queensferry Scotland.

A few questions thinking of buying a Albin 28.

Post by Sneland »

Good Evening

There’s a Albin 28 Tournament Express for sale not to far from me I’ve not had a chance to view it yet. It looks great in the pictures but a bit faded on the green hull. First questions is it’s fitted with a Cummins 370 hp what fuel consumption should I expect fuels rather expensive over here. Also after reading this forum there’s been some comments about the exhaust elbow problems any information would be great. Finally I’ve read about delamination and moisture problems on some boats, are the hull balsa core or plywood as mentioned. This is a bit more unusual from my experience although I have come across it on yatch hulls.

Thanks in advance and what a great forum.
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Re: A few questions thinking of buying a Albin 28.

Post by jetter »

I have a 2001 with a 370b. I'm averaging a fuel burn of 2.1 litres per nautical mile. Cruising at 14 to 15 knots. Running at lower speeds only improves burn by 10%. The exhaust elbow issue is not a problem for me in fresh water but is a concern when rolling in ocean swells. Turbo should be opened and inspected on exhaust side and modification considered if drift fishing is on the agenda. I believe hull moisture problems are rare on 28TE but have occurred. Some were related to incorrect installation of through hulls.
Russell
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I also had a 28TE with a Cummins 370 6BTA engine(2002 model) and experienced no spillover issues from the exhaust elbow into the turbo. I fished that boat in the ocean a lot for 9 seasons. My work around in a rolly sea was to leave the engine running at idle.

Fuel burn - this engine averages 10 US gallons per hour at 2400 RPM .. roughly 18 - 19 kts and 8 US gallons per hour at 2200 RPM at roughly 16 - 17 kts.

Good luck in your search and no need to be afraid of the exhaust elbow height, but have it inspected during survey.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Roy, like I said in my email earlier - go over the boat in detail as from the pictures it looks like it needs a fair amount of work. If it wasn’t the other end of the country, I’d come take a look for you.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”