• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Headliner falling

dasabalon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Islip

Headliner falling

Post by dasabalon »

Has anyone had a problem with there headliner falling where it staples to the bulkhead. Mine is coming down in the bathroom and in the quarter berth. it seems the wood that it is stapled to has rotted. I pulled and re caulked all the portholes. Which I believe is where the water came from. They where leaking.
Now I want to put the headliner back in place, so I have to get at the wood but it seems that the headliner was installed before the all the cabinetry. So I will have to cut it. I would rather not do that. Has anyone tackled this? Ive searched the forum but have not found anything.

Thanks
Don
Abalon
28 Flush-deck
Islip NY
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Headliner falling

Post by Norseman »

I pulled the headliner in the head, no problem getting it down.
As for rotted screw holes. Drill out, dry, epoxy in teak plugs, chisel off excess, then drill pilot hole for screw and reinstall.
If all the wood is rotten or soft, you have a problem. Get a marine carpenter or cabinet maker involved.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dasabalon
Mate
Mate

Post by dasabalon »

Thanks it’s not cabinetry or the trim it’s the wood that the headliner is fastened too. The staples pulled out and I can feel the wood through the headliner and it’s rotted.
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

dasabalon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am Thanks it’s not cabinetry or the trim it’s the wood that the headliner is fastened too. The staples pulled out and I can feel the wood through the headliner and it’s rotted.
A picture is worth a thousand words..
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dasabalon
Mate
Mate

Post by dasabalon »

I will take one tomorrow and post it
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
dasabalon
Mate
Mate

Post by dasabalon »

These pictures are of the Head.
head (2).JPG
head.JPG
. The seem that is discolored is falling down because the staples have pulled from the wood that is glued to the fiberglass under the headliner. I think I have to cut the headliner in 2 spots where my finger is pointing. This way I can pull back the liner to gain access to where the rotted wood is.
I really don't want to slice/cut the liner in these spots but I cant see any other way. The liner passes right through the cabinet and the bulkhead wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Maybe you can cut it inside the hanging locker and pull it out, make repairs and then glue it back tucking the cut end back into the closet??
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
dasabalon
Mate
Mate

Post by dasabalon »

I think that is my only option.
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck