• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Modifications to Wine Down

gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Barbados

Modifications to Wine Down

Post by gcmarshall »

I had the boat hauled for a month for some much needed maintenance. I bought it in Florida a year ago and shipped it to Barbados where it fishes commercially. It is a 2005 flush deck edition with a yanmar 315 6LPA-STP engine. I bought it with 800 hours, and it now has on 2500 hours.

I have posted all engine related maintenance and upgrades over at www.sbmar.com under the title - New Diesel Engine Owner (sorry, it's a yanmar) in the General Discussion area. So anyone interest can read about my maintenanace, upgrade of fuel filters, changes to stainless steel exhaust, etc...

Here I will just note some of the other changes I have made to the boat. I am new to this, so feel free to comment or suggest improvements, or alternatives as you see fit.

Blisters
The boat developed several hundred blisters all around the waterline. I sanded/grinded off the gelcoat, let them air dry for 2 weeks and filled with epoxy resin and Qsil powder (not sure how you spell that). I then raised the bottom paint line which needed raising so most of the work is now covered with bottom paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Modifications to Wine Down

Post by gcmarshall »

Vetus Bowthruster

The solenoid switch was only working in one direction, and when I picked it down one of the plungers was very stiff. I used a lot of corrosion block and moving it back and forth. It still isn't as free as the other one, but it is working now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

I installed a Simrad autopilot.

I put the pump on a bracket in the starboard "locker" along with the compass and computer.

I put the rudder feedback, mounted on top some pvc board, attached to the rudder.

I removed some unused instruments and cig lighter to install the control unit on the dash. It can also be controlled by my simrad plotter.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Also installed an airmar B265-LM transducer.
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Most recently, the swim platform got touched by another boat, and 2 of the bolts ripped through the lip on the swim platform bolting it to the boat. I had 3 stainless steel brackets made, and so the platform is now very well attached.

I appreciate not everyone might like the "look", but it was the quickest, easiest thing I could think to do without hauling the boat.

The original bolt/nuts in the corners are a challenge to get to!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Ouch on the swim platform. I understand about a make-do repair, and maybe you've already done this, but I'd want the damaged holes filled with epoxy. Maybe the transom construction is different in a 2005, but ours is wood-cored, and it's essential to keep it dry. Uh, voice of experience here.

The brackets don't look bad. I'm sure you'll keep an eye on whether they're doing the job.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Not a bad look and good solution for the time being. I'm worried about my platform because I know the core is all rotten. Will likely take it off at some point and replace the core like I did with the aft deck.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

gcmarshall wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am Also installed an airmar B265-LM transducer.
How do you like the transducer?
That model seems to be the most expensive on the market, must be good?
How was the install? Solid glass in the area, or did you have to reinforce and remove coring to get ready for the transducer?
(I got a sternmounted transducer but considering a quality through-mounted unit at the next haulout)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Sisu22 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 pm Not a bad look and good solution for the time being. I'm worried about my platform because I know the core is all rotten. Will likely take it off at some point and replace the core like I did with the aft deck.
Swim platforms mounted to cored transoms are quite problematic. At rest - drifting, sitting on the hook, etc etc, the boat goes up and down and the water smacks the underside of the platform, again and again and again, and every time it does so it puts stress on the fasteners eventually creating non-watertight connections and then water intrusion and rot is inevitable and worsens exponentially. Removing and reinstalling/rebedding the platform should be considered a PM item.

The platform on the 28TE is especially prone to this as it has this lip around the underside that catches and traps the water rather then letting it push out when the water contacts the underside.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Those underwater platform support bolts - does anyone know if they are thru core or did they make that part solid FRP?
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Sisu22 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 am Those underwater platform support bolts - does anyone know if they are thru core or did they make that part solid FRP?
Our transom is entirely wood-cored. There may be variation across the years.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
cdaroca
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by cdaroca »

Can you post or re-post your repairs to the aft deck. Mine is soft between the rear of the engine box and the transom.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Is it in the removable hatch part, or the fixed part?
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Here are some images from that repair

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”