• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need to re-tap cutlass housing bolt

gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Need to re-tap cutlass housing bolt

Post by gfuller »

Fellow Albin owners - It's been a while and a very cold winter, but yesterday's heatwave bringing a whopping 45 degrees got me back into the spirit of summer.

I've been putting this one off since last fall. I need to retap one of the 3/8-16 (bottom) holes that attach the cutlass housing to the keel. A couple of general questions with this:

What size should I go up to? 7/16? should I drill and retap or use a Helicoil rig? I'm not sure how much meat is on the backing and I'm pretty sure there is no solid way to know visually.

Also, is silicon bronze the only bolt metal that can be used here? For the 7/16 x 2-1/2" I'm having some hard times locating them, next would be 1/2" and those are pretty available.

Would stainless work?

Thanks all!
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE
gfuller
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portland, ME

Re: Need to re-tap cutlass housing bolt

Post by gfuller »

Drilled and tapped to 7/16 14 NC and worked perfectly. I will say those backing nuts or whatever they are are quite thick and won't go anywhere.
1999 Albin 28 TE Yanmar 6LP-STE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”