• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rub Rail

wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Rub Rail

Post by wpcv1776 »

Hi all.

Has anyone removed the rub rail from a 31TE? I have a 2004 that is leaking like crazy through the rub rail. I suspect it's leaking both through the screws and also between the two halves of the boat. I've tried sealing it with boat caulk from the outside but suspect it's not adhering well due to silicon being used before. If I have to remove the entire rub rail I'm not sure what kind of surprises to expect underneath. Any advise is appreciated.

Chris
31TE
Pole' Pole'

Pronounced (polay polay)
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Rub Rail

Post by sharffj »

Had same problem also on a 2004 and removed rub rails and caulked every screw hole. Need to caulk both holes that fasten foredeck to hull and then run a bead of caulk under rub rail and finally caulk each screw hole that attaches rub rail to hull. After that had no problems with leakage. Would take one side of rub rail at a time and do the work on that side and reattach and then take off other side. Reattaching the rub rail is a two person job. One to hold it in place and the other to caulk and screw it back on. Would use 5200 for the screw holes that attach foredeck to hull, and 4200 under rub rail as you may someday need to remove it again.
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wpcv1776 »

Thanks for the response sharffj. A couple of questions. 1. Are the screws I can see from the outside (on the stainless) the only screws holding the rub rail on or does the black plastic under the stainless have its own screws? 2. When you say caulk screws that fasten foredeck to hull, did you just caulk around them or take them out one at a time and reinstall them with caulk? 3. How long did it take you to do this? Could it be done in one day?
Thanks again for your help. It's easy to under budget on time not knowing for sure what I'm getting in to.
sharffj
First Mate
First Mate

Post by sharffj »

If I remember correctly there are other screws under the stainless that hold on the rub rail. Therefore you can attach the rub rail and then attach the stainless. We just caulked over the screws holding the foredeck to the hull. We did not remove those screws. We were generous with the amount of caulk we applied to the underside of the rub rail, trying not to get too much however so as to make clean up easier. It took a couple of days for each side, but I would think one could get a side done in one day if needed. The boat was up on blocks when we did this. I would think it would be difficult to do with the boat in the water
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wpcv1776 »

Thanks again Sharffj !

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”