• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Life Jacket Storage

hatchetjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Marys, Georgia

Life Jacket Storage

Post by hatchetjoe »

The conundrum of knowing that you might want to get to your life jackets in seconds but only having space for them under the seats in the cabin always bothers me.

I'm trying out the solution shown in the picture. I bought two 15x30" shock cord cargo nets with 2x2" mesh and 8 suction cups that 2 1/2" diameter and put them together. They are each holding one adult offshore life jacket and one near-shore life vest. I kept the center overhead clear so that I don't have to duck coming into the pilot house and put the nets as far aft as possible so I don't hit my head on them while seated. (I'm 6'2") They have only been up a couple of weeks and have held but I haven't run in any rough weather with them up this way yet.

My main goal was to see if I liked the arrangement without drilling any holes. If it works out well and needs better mounting I can do that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hatchetjoe
Final Draft
Albin 28 TE
315 hp Yanmar 6LPA STP 19x17 4 blade prop
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Life Jacket Storage

Post by Norseman »

I am also 6’2” and I also operate a 28TE. (Looks like that is what you have?)
I left all life jackets inside and under the table.
(Life ring and fire extinguisher outside)
Not sure why a life jacket is needed within micro seconds?
If the boat catch fire and you have to jump overboard, a trip downstairs is 5-6 seconds. If you are run down and have to jump last minute, and if that is a concern, wear life jackets all the time.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
hatchetjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Marys, Georgia

Post by hatchetjoe »

Here is a good example of needing you life jacket quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpeOuBk5yQ
Hatchetjoe
Final Draft
Albin 28 TE
315 hp Yanmar 6LPA STP 19x17 4 blade prop
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I went with a simpler solution with my Type I's. One placed over each chair in the pilot house. Two more stowed below.
Willoughby Gap 126.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

hatchetjoe wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 am Here is a good example of needing you life jacket quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpeOuBk5yQ
Yup, and those guys are already wearing their life vests as I suggested above.
I keep my 7 type 1 PDFs with auto strobe lights and whistles below.
If things are getting dicey, like reduced visibility, bad weather or adrift in high speed traffic areas I will certainly move them up and available to each pax/crew.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

I put plastic self-adhesive hooks on the pilot house bulkheads above the chairs, and thereby hang a life jacket each both side. Since I have an aft cabin, I leave a life jacket on each bunk.
For the main cabin, I store the life jackets forward behind the bunk cushions. I realize they are not easily accessible but in an emergency anyone in the main cabin can grab one of the life jackets in the pilot house on the way out. If I am taking more than four people out on the boat, I free up the necessary life jackets from the stash in the forward storage behind the cushions.
This may seem like overkill, but the marine police in these parts love to write citations for life jacket violations. (I was even cited for having life jackets approved by the US coast Guard rather then Canadian authorities!)
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

The best place to store ypur PFD, when the boat is moving, is on your back and buckled on.
The new inflatable jackets are easy to wear
Our boat moves, everypne on board has on a PFD.

Leading cause of deaths, according to USCG statistics, drowning.
If its on, you dont need to find it, wrestly it from the netting and yes, seconds with your heart pumping adrelian can make a difference.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

Post by Graeme K »

Interesting John. Last year the Water Police pulled us up and spotted the Kidde (white) fire extinguisher and said it wasn't allowed - the colour was the issue. Had to be red with Australian Standards number on it. Fortunately I had a 9kg powder extinguisher on board, complying to regulations, so did not get booked. The PFD on board were OK. I did not tell them there were 6 never used life jackets that came with the boat, tucked under the seat in the galley. I guess they would be US Coast Guard approved. That would have been an issue also.
Our regulations on life jackets specify that they be worn by all on board during heightened risk eg:
1. Crossing or attempting to cross an ocean bar 2. Being operated during the period one hour after sunset and ending one hour before sunrise 3. Storm warning, severe weather warnings etc. Also when being operated by a person who is the only person on board.

2005 Albin 30 FC
Perkins Sabre 265 TI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”