• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Member on the Chesapeake

verit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Millers Island, MD

New Member on the Chesapeake

Post by verit »

Hello Fellow Boaters and Albin Owners,

I am a relatively new power boat owner. Been a sailing and navigation instructor for about 8 years in Manhattan but we now live in Millers Island, MD surrounded by relatively shallow water. Just purchased a 1997 A28 TE that will be delivered sometime toward the end of March.

Last season, I bought my first very inexpensive Wellcraft and by the end of the season managed to flood the engine with seawater. I got an education about risers, manifolds, engine blocks and cracks.

I'm hopeful, that with diligence and good maintenance that future educational costs can be minimized.
The real silver lining is that I am now the proud owner of an Albin!

Hope to meet some of you out on the Chesapeake!

Tom
Millers Island
Maryland
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: New Member on the Chesapeake

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Welcome aboard! Wow, you're way up there in the north Bay! We had our boat down by Solomons & Cambridge a few years ago, but don't expect to be back any time soon. Be that as it may, diesels are the only way to fly! Have a great spring & summer! Your sailing experience will come in handy knowing the tricks of the trade in maneuvering a single screw diesel, that's for sure. Chesapeake does have a lot of skinny water, especially down on the Eastern Shore. Good news is it's mostly mud & not rocks.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome to a great group. Nice to see another Albin on the Bay. Hope we see you at the Chesapeake Reunion this year (whenever that may be).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
verit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by verit »

Hi Doug and Georgia,

If you're ever looking for a backup (parts boat) to your 27 Albin, McCluskey's Marina in Sparrows Point, MD has one sitting on the hard. I spoke with the owner, Mark McCluskey, last year about it. He wanted $10k but the engine was out of the boat being worked on. He said it was a Caterpillar diesel. Aside from that, it had a rear cabin and overall looked like it needed quite a bit of work in the cockpit. Nevertheless, it might be work having it for parts.

Hope see you at the Chesapeake Reunion if it happens!
Cheers,
Tom
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
verit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by verit »

Hi Desert Albin,

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I did reply to your post a few days ago but for some reason I don't see it posted in this thread.

Sounds like you like desert/lake sailing. If the lake is big enough, I suppose it could be lots of fun!
I once had a chance to go to the Phoenix Open (for business) and it was the most amazing golf tournament that I ever attended. It was like going to a rock concert with 100,000+ people.

I plan to visit Solomon's this year. I heard great things about it. It's probably about a 4 hour cruise (averaging 15 knots) from here.

Cheers!
Tom
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Tom, that's a good bit of info. Actually I wouldn't mind finding a 27FC that is breaking. You occasionally see notices on CL for other marques, but never an Albin.

We've been to a couple of Chesapeake rendezvous, and they are well worth attending.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Sounds like you like desert/lake sailing. If the lake is big enough, I suppose it could be lots of fun!
It is during fall/winter/spring months. Not so much in 115 degree summers. But we've kind of outgrown it except for getting together with our sailing friends, since this is my 20th year sailing & boating on the lake. Only so much you can do on a lake that's 2 miles wide by 4 miles long. That's why we stay with a trailerable sized boat that we can take where ever, when ever. 25 feet is the Goldilocks size & displacement. Big enough and seaworthy with galley, enclosed head, and cabin head room for long duration cruising, not to mention awesome fuel economy, yet small enough with 8' 6" beam to tow with a pickup truck & no need for wide load permits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Verit are you located near Hart Miller island? I'm just across the bay in Worton creek? Maybe we will see each other on the bay this year. Have you heard anything about the new Bay bridge coming by you?
verit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by verit »

@ DesertAlbin736 Now I get it. A trailer-able 25' makes perfect sense!

I remember one summer coming out of the airport in Phoenix and feeling a breeze that felt like I was standing behind a bus in Manhattan. They call it dry heat but it's still stifling . I wonder why settlers ever stayed there without AC? Maybe they're like me, I love the heat!
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
verit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by verit »

Hi Sprig1,

I am a very short boat ride away from Hart Miller Island. I'm even closer to Paradise Island and the Craighill Channel Lower Rear Lighthouse.
Warton Creek looks like a good close place to visit on the eastern shore for a day trip or a quick weekend. Do you recommend any restaurants/bars/marinas there?
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Verit to tell the truth I have never really been to your part of the bay. I just got the boat in the water last September. I went to the Magothy once,Rock Hall the Sassafras and Chester Rivers. Hopefully this year a little more exploring.
Worton creek has a nice little restaurant at the head of it. The Harbor House. There is Great Oak on Fairlee Creek that can be a zoo at times.
Betterton has a restaurant Barbra's on the bay you can dock at the public slips. They aren't very good in high winds. Or you can go up the Sassafras to Georgetown there is the Granary restaurant. That seems to be hit or miss on quality. I hope to catch up with you sometime.
Good luck chris
JFaberMD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eden, MD

Post by JFaberMD »

verit wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm Hello Fellow Boaters and Albin Owners,

I am a relatively new power boat owner. Been a sailing and navigation instructor for about 8 years in Manhattan but we now live in Millers Island, MD surrounded by relatively shallow water. Just purchased a 1997 A28 TE that will be delivered sometime toward the end of March.

Last season, I bought my first very inexpensive Wellcraft and by the end of the season managed to flood the engine with seawater. I got an education about risers, manifolds, engine blocks and cracks.

I'm hopeful, that with diligence and good maintenance that future educational costs can be minimized.
The real silver lining is that I am now the proud owner of an Albin!

Hope to meet some of you out on the Chesapeake!

Tom
Millers Island
Maryland
Tom,

We have a 28TE and we are down in the southern bay. We keep her on the Wicomico River and are a short 15-20 min cruise to Tangier Sound and then out into the Chesapeake. We took a weekend trip up your way last year for a wedding. We have friends on the Bodkin so we docked her there. Hope to see you on the Bay one day.

Josh
Josh F.
1998 Albin 28TE
"Muddy Duck”
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Josh,

The name sounds familiar. By chance did you ever dock at the Cambridge YC back around summer of 2015?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
verit
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by verit »

Howdy Josh,

Thanks for the welcome!

Many years ago we visited Tangier Island via ferry. It was an interesting place. A bit of a throwback in time because they didn't have TV or other types of media communications. I think they spoke some type of Elizabethan English and were famous for their orange cake.

I'd like to go back just to refresh my memory. They've probably all have cell phones by now.

Hope to catch you at one of the local Albin meetups!

Cheers,
Tom

1997 - Albin 28 TE
Millers Island, MD
JFaberMD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eden, MD

Post by JFaberMD »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:11 pm Josh,

The name sounds familiar. By chance did you ever dock at the Cambridge YC back around summer of 2015?
DesertAlbin736 - No we haven't ventured to the Cambridge Yacht Club yet. We have friends that cruise there all the time and were planning to make that a stop this summer. Our Yacht Club on the Wicomico has some sort of a relationship with them. We may be moving for my work so we may not make it this year. We may even have to sell our Albin. Should know for sure what's going on by the end of this week. One way or another, hope to see you out on the bay next time you are down this way.
Josh F.
1998 Albin 28TE
"Muddy Duck”

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”