• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2002 Albin 28 Steering Model

hatchetjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Marys, Georgia

2002 Albin 28 Steering Model

Post by hatchetjoe »

Would someone please tell me the model of the Teleflex (SeaStar) hydraulic steering wheel system that was standard on the 2002 28 TE's? As far as I can tell I have a leak in the seal around the steering wheel shaft. Without taking anything apart I can't find a model number on the front or back of the unit. All I see is "Made in Canada" on the back of the unit. I would like to make sure I order the correct seal kit and from the SeaStar web site it looks like the SeaStar 2.4 rear mount HH5262-3.

After searching the forums I see that others have had the problem of fluid leaking down the front of the helm and I would like to skip the cost of a skilled marine mechanic!

Thanks!

Hatchetjoe
Hatchetjoe
Final Draft
Albin 28 TE
315 hp Yanmar 6LPA STP 19x17 4 blade prop
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: 2002 Albin 28 Steering Model

Post by Tree »

Joe. The drawings with part numbers are in the document library. I have recently replaced my steering ram - I can dig out the part number if you need that?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I recently replaced my steering cylinder with this exact replacement: Inboard Steering Cylinder BA135-7ATM

purchased from: https://www.go2marine.com/product/83053 ... c53xx.html

for $410

You can also purchase a rebuild kit but I could not get the one end off my old one and it was the one that was leaking.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Funny enough, that’s the same one I’ve just replaced Russ. I swapped mine for the later HC5313 model albeit they look exactly the same except the later one is black in colour.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

And double check to make sure it's actually leaking and not accidentally overfilled. :-)
hatchetjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hatchetjoe »

Thank you for the replies!

I should have written more clearly. I think my problem is a leak in the the steering wheel - helm pump and not the ram attached to the rudder arm.

On the first really warm day I found a little fluid had run down the wall of the helm from directly under the steering wheel. I assumed (hoped) it was just a little overflow from expansion after warming up. After I had trouble suggesting a leak, I looked carefully at all the places people have mentioned in prior posts. I found a little oil (as in a few drops) on the back of the helm pump when I looked through the medicine cabinet but I haven't found oil anywhere where else. I carefully examined both ends of the ram at the stern after running the wheel lock to lock a couple of times, but I couldn't find any evidence of leaking there. Since the kits to replace the seals around the shaft of the steering wheel are less than $20 I thought I would start there before worrying about replacing more expensive items like the ram. I just want to make sure I get the right seals. Thanks again!

Hatchetjoe
Hatchetjoe
Final Draft
Albin 28 TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Joe, on our helm unit, the label is on the side of the cylinder. The only way I could read it was to stick a camera in the place my eyes couldn't see and take a picture.

Our unit is a SeaStar 1.7, HH5271, and the seal kit is HS5176. Yes, the leaking helm cylinder is a common problem. I'd encourage you to call Teleflex tech support. They were very helpful with several useful hints. 604-248-3858.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
hatchetjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hatchetjoe »

Thank you Nancy!

I'll try sliding a minicamera in to look at the side of the helm pump and give SeaStar a call. Hopefully I can fix this!

Hatchetjoe
Hatchetjoe
Final Draft
Albin 28 TE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”