• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Swim Platform

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Swim Platform

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Norseman wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm
CTO203 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:17 pm Larry - Contact Standish Boat out of Tiverton, RI. They were an Albin dealer - I was just there and saw a few in the yard. Call Ken...

Best of luck -
Thad

Called and emailed Larry several times (about another issue).
He never returned my calls or wrote me back.
No Impressed. :shock: :shock:
Yea he is a hard guy to get a hold of and doesn’t usually get back to you. At least that was my experience. I would give plasteak a call
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Low Country
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Post by Low Country »

This past winter I re-built the swim platform for Albin 31 TE.
It was a significant project, but very manageable.

My Platform had 0.5 inch marine plywood.
I Replaced with 0.5 inch Coosa.
Seems to be working well.
If anyone decides to take this on and has questions feel welcome to send me a note.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

I have made my other boats out of starboard before but curious can you route and cut Coosa like starboard? Did you color resin a non -skid? I will be making one for my 28 TE and want to make the right decision. I like the weight properties of that material.
Low Country
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Post by Low Country »

Tom Un wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:32 am I have made my other boats out of starboard before but curious can you route and cut Coosa like starboard? Did you color resin a non -skid? I will be making one for my 28 TE and want to make the right decision. I like the weight properties of that material.
Coosa is easy to cut/shape. (And not to fiber-glassy. Thought it would be a big mess, but was not.
Coosa is the reinforcement on the underside not the top side. Replaces the marine plywood. After gluing coosa to swim platform using thickened West I place three layers of fiberglass cloth over the top using polyester resin. Sanded, barrier coated using 2000/2001E and painted with Easy Poxy.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Is that Coosa now preferred to marine plywood / end grain balsa? I watched the video on boatoutfitters.com and it seemed interesting.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

I recently got a new plasteak swim platform and have the old one off the 28TE if someone could use it. It is in pretty good shape except the glass needs to be redone at the mounting holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by dabeachman on Thu May 24, 2018 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

Post by Tom Un »

I'm interested - how much?

Tom
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

Tom Un wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:50 pm I'm interested - how much?

Tom

I sent you a PM
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

I would also be interested if this sale does not work out.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

I ended up pulling off the platform and rebuilding it. For a while I was planning on just replacing it with teak but didn't want it to evolve into a serious project. I pulled off the platform and flipped it over, and then used a tool to cut out the bottom laminate. The plywood (which must have been decent quality marine) was totally soaked but not rotten. I tried to pull out the plywood but it was really well attached to the top laminate. For some reason that bond didn't appear to be compromised. So I left it out in the sun to dry out for a week in the summer sun, got it nice and dry, and then re-glassed it in with West System. Then I drilled out the support holes from the bottom and filled them in with pure West System (with some 404 filler). Much more solid.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”