• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 TE Baitwell Size?

HavasuSun
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: San Diego and Ft Lauderdale

Albin 28 TE Baitwell Size?

Post by HavasuSun »

Hi Guys. Does anyone know the baitwell capacity (in gallons) on a 28TE? I am considering a 28TE for use in Southern California which is a bait driven fishery. I like to have at least a scoop to a scoop and a half of sardines on the boat. That equates to 30-40 gallons in capacity.

If the baitwell cannot handle that, has anyone added a separate bait tank or converted the aft fish box to a bait tank?
Tom Cunningham
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego-Mulege

Re: Albin 28 TE Baitwell Size?

Post by Tom Cunningham »

I installed a 43 gal in my 28 flushdeck last year. The brand was Pacific Edge. Mark, the owner there was able to squeeze almost an inch from the width while the tank was still soft coming out of the mold. This allowed it to fit just right between the large deck hatches in the cockpit. If you call him he'll probably remember. The project turned out very well. Tom.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

Tom Cunningham wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm I installed a 43 gal in my 28 flushdeck last year. The brand was Pacific Edge. Mark, the owner there was able to squeeze almost an inch from the width while the tank was still soft coming out of the mold. This allowed it to fit just right between the large deck hatches in the cockpit. If you call him he'll probably remember. The project turned out very well. Tom.
Any photos? I've been eyeing the space forward of the rudder and fuel tank access and aft of the large hatch on my 03 flush deck.

I am unsure of the capacity of the stock livewell but it has functioned ok for me. Mackerel and whiting seem to stay alive pretty well. Herring have trouble after 8 hours. While fishing down south I found that a couple dozen ballyhoo would stay alive all day in there. Depending on your style of fishing the stock well may work. Its design does seem to be an afterthought though.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

The baitwell on the 28 is definitely smaller than 30 gallons. There is another 28 on our gangway in Huntington Harbor that the owner installed a baitwell on the swim platform. It looks to be about 30 gallons capacity. He says it works well and I know he catches lots of fish. I'll text him and find out exactly what size it is.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Confirmed that the baitwell on the swim platform is 30 gallons. It looks like a perfect fit.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

You WILL kill sardines and mackerel in the built in tank. Tried several tricks and circling bait gets stuck in the corners and die. I did a Kodiak 32 on the swim step that is temporary and taken off in 2 mins for diving in lieu of fishing. I put a scoop in and can keep squid in the built in.

Pictures:
http://photo.pacificwestcontrols.com/~M ... o/#!Albums
password: fish
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Hi Mike, do you have a new password for this photo site? -Joe
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Sisu22 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:59 am Hi Mike, do you have a new password for this photo site? -Joe
I didn't think so but I set it again to fish
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

Jaredh wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:55 pm
Tom Cunningham wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm I installed a 43 gal in my 28 flushdeck last year. The brand was Pacific Edge. Mark, the owner there was able to squeeze almost an inch from the width while the tank was still soft coming out of the mold. This allowed it to fit just right between the large deck hatches in the cockpit. If you call him he'll probably remember. The project turned out very well. Tom.
Any photos? I've been eyeing the space forward of the rudder and fuel tank access and aft of the large hatch on my 03 flush deck.

I am unsure of the capacity of the stock livewell but it has functioned ok for me. Mackerel and whiting seem to stay alive pretty well. Herring have trouble after 8 hours. While fishing down south I found that a couple dozen ballyhoo would stay alive all day in there. Depending on your style of fishing the stock well may work. Its design does seem to be an afterthought though.
I was able to track down some photos of this install with the help of Dave who bought Tom Cunningham's boat.

Seems like a great solution. I ordered the same tank from Pacific Edge back on August 1. They have a backlog of work so it will take a while to get. With various options, the tank ran ~$1600 without shipping. Can't wait to get it installed. Hopefully the photos and info will be usefull if someone else is looking for more livewell capacity as well. The stock well is marginal at best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”