• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 TE flush or box???

oldsalt22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: long island

Albin 28 TE flush or box???

Post by oldsalt22 »

I am looking at some older Albins say 2005 to 2008. I have only read one thread on this topic but after reading it I feel that the smarter move is to go with the box. Reasons cited poor weight distribution and smaller rudder on the flush decks. Give a green horn a little old salt sage advice. Thanks in advance
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: Albin 28 TE flush or box???

Post by catalina_mike »

I love my box and it acts great to hold tackle or dive gear when getting setup. I have a fishing / diving pad (looks ok but not as nice as the matching one) and a nice commodore approved pad for cruising. Very easy to check on engine items as well. The aft birth is a few inches wider also.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I’d say it really depends on your use. The box is like a small, permanent coffee table in your family room. We found it very convenient and with a nice matching pad (same fabric as our aft curtains and bimini) it looked nice as well.
There may be some logic in the weight distribution, but as with everything in boating you’d have to look at the compromise of the larger cockpit.
I also believe the deck is a few inches higher in the flush deck - so if you have young kids aboard you may prefer the higher gunnels. But some may find it easier to step up out of the boat - again, a compromise.
Finally, the flush decks are newer so will likely be priced higher - but are also likely to have more current electronics! It never ends!
I d want to add - we had a 1997 with the Penninsular engine and I would buy that boat again in a heartbeat! 🙂

Good luck in your search!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

I agree with Mike & Doug, the box works as a great tackle station for fishing and we also use it for a stable serving area when entertaining. Plus, we normally use it as an ottoman with our folding chairs. Lastly, I have found the engine to be very accessible with the box.
2004 28TE
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I have only been aboard one of those with a box but have Been on other brands with a box.
To me it's just something to have to dance around constantly.
The engine access issue is another consideration. I've been down under on a flush deck didn't seem terrible from what I remember.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

No negatives with the box, kind of like it.
That being said, never been on a flush deck.
Engine access is important to been doing everything myself so far, but would hire a good Yanmar mech if I find one.
(Any recommendations in Sout East Florida)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

We have a flush deck and absolutely love the wide open cockpit it offers. We fish but we're not serious fishermen, and don't have lots of fishing gear on the boat, so for lounging and entertaining the flush deck wins. Just down the gangway from us is another 28 with an engine box. The owner is a much more serious fisherman and has a bait well mounted on his swimstep and usually several rods. He appears to love the layout and his boat as much as we love ours. So I guess it's all about personal preference.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

The amount of cockpit storage above and below deck on the flush deck is significant. I think we would probably be shopping for a different boat already if we had gone with an engine box model. We do however carry a lot more gear on board than most fishermen. In the cockpit we have 2 milk crates with harpoon lines in the forward corners. Two folding chairs aft of the crates. Yeti 20 behind the helm seat for food. Yeti 160 for icing down fish in the center of the transom, with a rolled up insulated tuna bag behind it capable of holding 2x 110" fish. In the center cockpit hatch (where the engine box would be) we store a 26lb danforth with 30' chain and 400' line attached with another 200' of line that can be added. There is still room in this compartment for our grill and a case of water.

I don't know if I would have somewhere to stow all this stuff with the engine box!

It is worth noting that early flush decks do have the same cockpit depth as engine box models with a step up to the helm. I have gone over our motor extensively and have found access to be manageable. The boat handles great even in heavy seas.

I don't have any good photos of the cockpit, but will try to snap one next time I'm on the boat. The flush deck really seems to be functionally a very different boat than the engine box for my use.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”