• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2001 Albin 28TE AC Vented to Helm Station

Millertime
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bradenton Florida

2001 Albin 28TE AC Vented to Helm Station

Post by Millertime »

I noticed one Albin 28 TE that had vented AC from the cabin to the Helm Station area. He had what looked like a 4"-6" PVC pipe extend from the closet area thru the head along side the toilet and then what was probable a flex vent hose up to the Starboard side of the helm seat. Anybody else see or know how this might be possible. I have a Mirrrr 12000 btu AC unit.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 2001 Albin 28TE AC Vented to Helm Station

Post by DougSea »

I had looked into something like that on our 28. Moved on to the 35 before that project made it to the top of my list. I'd certainly think a 12K BTU unit would have the ability to cool the space. In fact it sounds a bit large for the cabin of a 28, but I do see you're in Florida...

My thought was to run a 3" (Or better 4" which allows a lot more airflow) line through the head and up behind the mirror, coming out on the top of the helm. I also considered an in line blower fan that I could turn on when at the helm to give it a bit of a boost during the heat of the day. And again, since you're in Florida, I'm assuming you have sunshades on your glass. Made an enormous difference on the 35 being able to keep the salon cool.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

I have the 4” vent at the helm and it is plumbed as you have described.Personally I do not think it has the umph to generate enough cool air to cool the pilot house especially if the sun is out.By the way ours is the 31TE with the bulkhead doors.Maybe with the sun screens on the windows but I doubt it. By the way ours is a 16K Wabasto unit.Plenty of cool air comes from the vent but it doesn’t even get to your face while the sun is shining. The only way you may get around this is to put a dedicated 10 or 12 K unit right in the salon.Our 16K unit works great in the cabin even in this 90-95 degree temps we’ve been having. The pilot house just has too much glass.To be honest though I have never tried using the window shades we got when we purchased the boat. I may one day give that a whirl,but personally I think one vent would not be enough unless it was in November here in Ontario Canada.Bob & Val
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

amber jj wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:58 pm The pilot house just has too much glass.To be honest though I have never tried using the window shades we got when we purchased the boat. I may one day give that a whirl,but personally I think one vent would not be enough unless it was in November here in Ontario Canada.Bob & Val
You would be amazed at the difference the shades make on a sunny day! I was at the rendezvous in Riverhead a couple of years ago and the salon AC was NOT keeping up. Hung some towels over the windows/ports and dropped the interior at least 10 degrees. Next year we had a proper set made. Ours are semi-transparent so you don't feel like you're in a cave. Highly recommended.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”