• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2001 28TE owner here...generator????

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

2001 28TE owner here...generator????

Post by Mike Monte »

Hello All:
I have a (see above) boat....love it.....we have an ac unit that was in stalled at Standish Boat Yard...(2004?). It runs great on shore power....now my wife wants to run the ac unit (PLUS 'fridge) at anchor.......ok.....................I have a harborfreight 2500 inverter generator (that I use for my sound company) that is used for small events..... Will it power the ac and 'fridge??
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: 2001 28TE owner here...generator????

Post by Norseman »

A generator will add a lot of weight, complexity and expenses.
(Yes, I know the Wife Factor, had 3 wife’s and numerous girlfriends, you can’t win, if you do, life gets miserable)
At anchor you usually have a nice breeze and all hatches open, with bug screens of course, nice and quiet, no generator needed)
At a marina or at a boat yard, no breeze, noisy, dusty and AC needed, fortunately there is shore power to run the AC. Problem solved.
If wifey still makes your life miserable, suggest big batteries and big solar panels to power the AC.
(Air Condition only needed when the sun is up and it is warm and stuffy below. Nobody stays below when the sun is up. When the sun is down, cooler below and people go downstairs to sleep, but not as hot because the sun is down, hence less need for AC)
Been there, done that; Lived on a boat in the Caribbean year around without AC back in the 80s. Also part time cruising Florida and Bahamas for 14 years with no AC, another sailboat.
On the Albin 28TE, we run AC when docked at a marina because we have shore power. Not needed when anchored,
Hence no generator needed, at least not here in South East Florida and not for us.
Your mileage may vary of course and if wife is hot, go to a marina:)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Revtech79
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Old Lyme, CT

Post by Revtech79 »

Hi Mike,
I have a 2005 28 TE with a 10k BTU AC. I easily power the AC and the fridge with a 2000i Honda inverter generator. I also have a 1800 watt inverter that runs off the house bank batteries. It can start and run the AC unit. (although obviously I don't run it long this way, battery draw down is way too high). The high load is only at startup of the AC. After startup it drops to around 600 watts running.
RIPTIDE
28 TE 2005, Cummins 380 QSB
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I would think most portable generators, 2000 watts and up would run a nominal size ac unit (6000 BTU). However, I would exercise caution due to carbon monoxide being emitted by the generator. Recently, a couple were killed by CO while docked at a Fire Island, Long Island, NY marina from CO that leaked into the cabin.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Serenity wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 am ..... Recently, a couple were killed by CO while docked at a Fire Island, Long Island, NY marina from CO that leaked into the cabin.
Ironically he was a retired NY City Firefighter. I never heard if that was an inboard generator or a portable one. Most marinas do not let you run generators .... but Cherry Grove is not most marinas. Very sad.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I have tested my Honda 2000i at the dock for AC startup running. It worked fine but I did do it with the charger off until the amps dropped down. I have not used it at anchor as there is always water to jump into to cool off but I wanted to test to see if I could.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

Last week I finally tried my Harborfreight 2500 generator on my boat.
(I have a Marine Air 10,000 BTU AC unit.)

With the gen plugged into the shore power inlet I was not able to start the AC unit while the 'fridge and battery charger were on.
I turned off the fridge and battery charger and-then the AC unit would cycle on.
Once the AC unit is past its start-up stage I can then add the battery charger/'fridge to the system.

As our season heads into the final month we may try a night on-a-hook.
go.boating
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Little Torch Key, fl

Post by go.boating »

GET A EASY-START FOR THE AC

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”