• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flush Deck Engine Access

sbbcc
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: N/A

Flush Deck Engine Access

Post by sbbcc »

I have looked at a number of pictures and posts here about the flush deck in regards to the engine access. I can't seem to figure out exactly whats blocking the access to the engine on the starboard side. I have read its a nightmare if you need to access that side of the engine. Any insight as to how this affects working on the engine or just general maintenance would be appreciated.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Flush Deck Engine Access

Post by RobS »

sbbcc wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:05 am ... I can't seem to figure out exactly whats blocking the access to the engine on the starboard side.
The aft bunk. Access panels were incorporated from the cabin to the engine room for the different service points. Some FD owners should chime in with specifics.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

I haven't found access to be a nightmare, but there are some awkward contortions required for some service from the quarter berth hatch.

To do the zincs this spring I ended up pulling all the coolers, it was doable but definitely not fun. Fuel filter and oil filter are easily accessible from the berth. Major service on the injector pump looks like it could be a PITA. I am concerned about rust on the oil galley plug on the Yanmar 315, so will be doing this service down the road. I believe it may be possible with the engine in the boat. For now I have been spraying down the engine with T9 Boeshield to reduce the speed of corrosion.

It is all doable, but all boats are a compromise. There are a number of service areas that are easier on the flush decks than the engine box models. Particularly anything involving the trans or prop shaft.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Keyport NJ

Post by Nancy's Promise »

It’s not that bad. I do the seasonal maintenance. I just had the timing belt and raw water pump changed. The guy who did it said it wasn’t that hard. No boat is perfect to work on.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”