• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Occasional Leak in the Quarter Berth

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Occasional Leak in the Quarter Berth

Post by johnmurray »

My 2005 A-30FC is identical, I think, to the A-28 flush deck in the forward cabin. I find that I sometimes I get leakage into the quarter berth and a couple of times there was enough to soak the foam mattress. I think the leakage is due to rain rather than heeling when underway. The most leakage I have experienced was after a recent torrential rainfall.
I have checked the obvious sources and made sure the ports were tightly closed but have not been able to find the source. It is more frustrating because it only happens once in a while, not all the time.
Has any experienced the same problem or have any ideas as to source?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Occasional Leak in the Quarter Berth

Post by Tree »

John. Check the seal where the hard top attaches to the bottom of the wheelhouse. Mines leaking a little bit and that’s where I’m pretty sure it’s coming from. The sealant needs digging out since it’s shrunk this year due to the high temperatures we are having. Also have a good look at the porthole seals, a small coating of silicon grease seals those if they’re not use all of the time.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Also check your bow rail stanchions. We had two leaks on our 35 that were making us crazy. One turned out to be around the main forward glass, the other, that took longer to find, was a stanchion bolt that had loosened. I validated the leak by just putting a piece of duct tape on the forward side. Sure enough, that was it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
KODIAK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, Maine

Post by KODIAK »

Just completed this drill!

Replaced the sealant where top meets hull, etc.. Then built-up a "dike" around holes for wiring, because water could migrate that way.
Still some leakage. Found all the canvas snap screws were VERY easy to remove - so replaced with silicone sealant. Guess what?
Problem solved - so far. It is a boat avterall.

Good luck - I'd start with the screws first!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

KODIAK wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:18 am Just completed this drill!

Replaced the sealant where top meets hull, etc.. Then built-up a "dike" around holes for wiring, because water could migrate that way.
Still some leakage. Found all the canvas snap screws were VERY easy to remove - so replaced with silicone sealant. Guess what?
Problem solved - so far. It is a boat avterall.

Good luck - I'd start with the screws first!
Good call - well worth looking at!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”