• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE real weight

Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

28TE real weight

Post by Serenity »

Is there a difference between displacement and total hull weight of the 28? The specs say 7500 displacement and yet members have stated their 28 is between 9000 - 11000 pounds.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 28TE real weight

Post by DougSea »

Technically - no, there's no difference. You displace what you weigh.

Albin would have used numbers for a dry (nothing in tanks) "light" boat. Nothing extra. Just the boat and built in gear.

Members are usually reporting "real" weights. Tanks full of fuel and water. All that stuff you keep on the quarter berth. Maybe that generator you added along with big house batteries.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Doug, my generator is a Yamaha 2000, which is in my garage. As for the big house batteries, one 27 and 1-4D. I was thinking that Albin wasn't sure what power was going in the boat, so they weighed the boat with no engine, fuel and water.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Serenity wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:15 am Doug, my generator is a Yamaha 2000, which is in my garage. As for the big house batteries, one 27 and 1-4D. I was thinking that Albin wasn't sure what power was going in the boat, so they weighed the boat with no engine, fuel and water.
Hmm, interesting thought, but doubt it.
Most engines are probably in the same weight class plus-minus a few hundred lbs or kgs.
Dry weight is probably correct, the empty weight should not include fuel, water, beer or booze and probly no options such as AC or anchors, chain, etc.
Pretty sure my boat is porky and I can tell a big difference whether the fuel tank is full or a 1/4. (Odin does not like any extra weight at normal cruise around 17 knots. Had a charter request to the Bahamas recently with 5 big guys plus me. Turned it down, will only do full boat for local trips @ 6-7 Knots and longer trips with only wifey and me.
(Thank God she weighs the same as she did when we got married 27 years ago, I don’t:)
For performance numbers I believe the old rule is 2 people and half tanks.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jaredh
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Falmouth, Maine

Post by Jaredh »

My 2003 28TE flush deck weighs ~10,500lbs with a half tank of fuel, empty water, and empty holding tank.

This is with all my fishing gear and other personal items on board. Boat has a 315 Yanmar and no generator.
2003 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck "Isla" (Formerly "Dogonit")
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

10500 pounds makes more sense. Perhaps, the 7500 was the weight of the mold only
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Bill R
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Toronto

Post by Bill R »

My 2005 28 is much like yours with the addition of a Next Gen generator, extended hardtop and possibly a little less fuel.

When it was being hauled last fall for her winter storage, the crane operator said it hit 10,000 pounds.

She is also currently for sale in our listings section.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”