• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transporting a 31TE

furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Transporting a 31TE

Post by furball »

I may be transporting a 31TE via lowboy trailer.
I remember reading something about making sure you got the water out of the exhaust prior to transport. Can someone tell me how that is done?
Anything else I need to consider? It will be a relatively short distance, about 150 miles.
Thanks,

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: Transporting a 31TE

Post by Sisu22 »

Which engine(s)?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I don't know how one usually drains an exhaust. I guess it would vary by exhaust manufacturer. But, since the goal is to prevent water from running "backwards" and up into the exhaust manifold when the tow vehicle slows, I'd think you could disconnect the exhaust hose at the mixing elbow and stuff a rag into it.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

We pull our 31 with twin 370 Cummins out every season on a hydraulic trailer.As the boat comes up the ramp the water drains from the exhaust system. Never had a problem.Also I think I have seen drain plugs on the mufflers. I can't put money on that though.
If your just using a lowboy trailer maybe if there is a ramp at the marina you are hauling from it could be loaded on the ramp.Make sure it won't slide out of the slings.
Could a hydraulic lift lift the bow higher than the stern before it is bedded on the trailer to drain the water?
Goodluck Bob
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

It's a Cummins 450 diamond series.
It doesn't appear that tipping will drain much. See the attached photo of the exhaust. The two tubes coming up from the bottom make me think there will still be water trapped even if they can tip it a bit in the sling. Just saying that makes me a bit queasy :lol:
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

You are correct that tipping the hull will not get the majority of raw water out of the muffler. Take a trip into the bilge and get your eyes and hands on the bottom aft of the muffler. You'll see/feel a drain screw. It is self tapping into the muffler. I had this on my 2002 28TE which I would remove and drain the muffler each winter for decommissioning before running antifreeze through the raw water system and did this as well for transporting my 31TE at time of purchase and every time for decommissioning. When I transported home I also drained the heat exchanger by removing the anodes as well as removed the hose from the mixing elbow to drain the low spot in that hose. I wasn't taking any chances of water finding its way back through the exhaust and into the turbo. Think a bout draining the genset muffler too. Same drill .. a small plug in the bottom of the muffler.

This off season I'll be replacing the self tapping screw with a glassed in plug.

All the best and welcome to the world of 31's .. you'll love it!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member