• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Windlass Replacement

boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: sarasota

Windlass Replacement

Post by boatruptcy »

Changing out my Lewmar pro sport for the same model and trying to get access to the three threaded rods that hold the windlass to the pulpit. Surely you don't have to remove the entire pulpit to do this? I was thinking of taking a hole saw or dremel and widening the hole at the bottom of the windlass (in the anchor locker) to reach the bolts, any other ideas before I begin cutting? The pictures are looking up from inside the anchor locker, the one round hole is where the chain drops in but not large enough to access the threaded rods. The bolts on the outside of the hull are what secures the pulpit (they appear to be carriage and you can see the heads on the picture taken with the windlass). Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Windlass Replacement

Post by RobS »

The prior owner / installer must have pulled the pulpit to install the windlass which also appears evident by the appearance of the caulking at the joint of the rear section of the pulpit to the bow deck. Since it's been off once before it might be easy enough to do again and this way you can be sure all is right. Here's a pic of one removed. Otherwise your method to gain access seems to be the only "plan B"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boatruptcy »

Thank you! I'll probably just widen my hole then, can't see any real harm in doing that rather than pulling the entire pulpit.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I’ve seen a pulpit break off due to a fouled anchor and rough sea. Is it not worth getting the holes filled and moving the windlass back on to the foredeck as the construction of the pulpit isn’t the strongest?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boatruptcy »

I don't see how you could move it any further back without sending your rode into the cabin. I'm not personally willing to go to all that effort since I can't foresee myself in that situation.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

It has to stay in the same location to be over the anchor locker. But I would recommend long threaded rods going through the pulpit and then through the molded deck pocket where the pulpit is sitting, this way it's all reinforced together. Otherwise you are relying on the strength of the pulpit to deck connection with just a few fender washers. That connection could certainly be compromised at this stage of her life...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I remember replacing a windlass on a friend's boat some years ago. We cut a water sealed oak backing plate to bolt up under the fore deck, just to be on the safe side.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I second Rob's suggestion as it would be stronger and make it much easier to exchange the windlass the next time. I removed the pulpit on my 1997 model to get to the nuts inside the space and put it back the same way. When I needed to replace the windlass on my 2005 model I remembered what a big job it was on the 97 and dreaded it. But to my surprise they used longer bolts that went all the way through to the locker and it was very easy to replace. I guess they bolted the windlass onto the pulpit before installing the pulpit, making their job a little easier but creating a big problem down the line.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boatruptcy »

Not sure through bolting will add any more strength than the four 1/2" carriage bolts and whatever amount of sealant that's globbed around the entire pulpit from previous owner, but I'm all for overkill. Those mounting bolts on the Lewmar are small as well and that little windlass doesn't have enough ass to tear itself off.
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by kowal_53 »

My 31 had 3 long bolts that went all the way through when I went to replace mine a couple of years ago. You can get to all of them through the anchor lid hatches up front. Cleaned everything up, place the old bolts on the new one (or it came with new ones just can't remember) Placed the windless in place for fit, removed it again for the silicone, and tightened it down. I snugged the nuts just a bit 24 hours later. Wired it up and I was done.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
boatruptcy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boatruptcy »

I opened up the hole a little bit, enough room to get my hand inside and loosen the nuts. It had a 1" blocking plate for all three bolts, swapped it out in a few minutes, works great now.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”